Chapter Thirty - Revelations

We were so close to the answers we'd been desperately seeking since the start of this abomination, the truth was lying between the barrel of a gun a scared man. Laindon was shaking as he sat in the lab chair, his eyes almost on the verge of tears when Carter started to tie rope tightly around his wrist.

"You don't have to tie me up, ill tell you what you want to know" His lip quivered, his eyes pleading.

I sat on the desk directly opposite his chair holding the gun securely in my lap, my face straighter than it had ever been "No. We are going to sit here until I get answers, because the first time I was here you lied straight to my face. I knew it, i'm not as naive as you think".

"And you?" Laindon looked to Carter "You are going to let her do this?".

My husband rubbed the rough stubble along his jawline, leaning down until he was level with the man "Let her? I'm going to help her" he looked up to me with a smirk.

I pulled a knife from the top of my boot, twirling the circle handle edge around my pointer finger "If you lie, which I can easily tell by the way" I stepped forward laying the tip of the blade on his arm "I use this pretty little knife to hurt you. Its simple really, right honey" I looked to Carter again with wide eyes.

"Sounds it to me" He shrugged "And she really loves her knives".

"OKAY. I get it" The man cried "We didn't mean it to turn out like this, I promise" The man was a blubbering mess, he closed his eyes taking a minute to compose as he sucked in a harsh breath "My mother was diagnosed with Dementia when I was twenty, have you ever seen it?" I shook my head confused of why this was important but I let him carry on "She was the only person I had left and she forgot me, she became aggressive, couldn't do anything she was a completely different person than the woman I grew up with".

"As interesting as this sob story is, what has it got to do with this".

Laindon looked back at me with a straight face "Everything. I was working in a small lab in the states, but I managed to move up to higher level, transfer to here. Me and the other scientists worked day and night taking apart every part of the condition, what causes it, what gene carries it, but we couldn't find any answer to a cure" Carter looked at me more confused than ever as the man carried on.

"So I moved onto viruses, if I could take the bad symptoms out and use the part of the virus that attacks our bodies to attack the dementia. We had strains of almost every virus known to man stored in the labs so I started working through them one by one, experimenting on joining them together to see if they could become a cure. I almost had it, I swear I was so close" Laindon paused closing his eyes and lolling his head back against the chair.

"What happened" I demanded, but Laindon shook his head. I nodded to Carter who quickly placed his hands over the mans mouth, blocking any sound as I slowly sliced a line with my blade down his arm. He shook against the chair, his eyes watering and his cries silent when Carter finally removed his hand "What happened" This time my voice was harsher, colder even.

"The lab assistant was packing away for the night, he took the vial I had stored and dropped it. It happened too quick, one minute he was trying to clean up the broken glass and the next he was choking on his own blood. No one knew until we heard the screams, he attacked the younger assistant Lacey, we managed to keep him tied up and they sent air rescue to get her to hospital" He shook his head again crying "By.. by the time they got to the hospital she had turned".

I hadn't realised I was crying until a tear drop slid down my cheek, but they weren't tears of sadness they were tears of anger. "You started this" I screamed "You got everyone killed" Laindon flinched and cowered his head to the side as I launched at him, but I didn't get far as a thick set of arms wrapped around my waist holding me back as my anger peaked.

"Katie" I thrashed against his arms "KATIE" Carter was practically screaming in my face as his hands moved to cup my cheeks.

"He is the reason" I cried, pushing against his chest "My mom, dad, Amie, Melanie, Brent" I felt like the walls were closing in, each pant bringing me closer to asphyxiation "Kyle. He was a baby Carter".

"I know baby" Carter pleaded "But he started this, he is the only one who can end it".

I nodded letting my head rest again his chest for a few minutes, never in my life had I been this angry "Can he" I stepped to the side slightly locking eyes with the man once again "Can you end it?".

Laindon hesitated but nodded "I think so".

"And everyone out there" I pointed to the barred window which looked over the camp "Needs to know what the fuck happened here, everybody in this place thinks this place is a haven, a means to start a new life. When in reality, this shithole is the exact reason all of our lives went to hell".