Chapter Six - Down we go

This life was a game of survival, you had to be quick and smart, never let your feelings cloud judgement. Loss was always a factor, whether that was someone you love or a place you call home. It always came. It was unexpected and the hurt that followed, it could break a person.

The sounds of our fences breaking cemented our fate, a life on the road again where none of our lives were guaranteed but what choice did we have?.

"We need to go now!" I slung the backpack over my shoulder, securing Hayleys smaller one on her back while Carter did the same "The back gates, it's the only way out. The walls are already down".

Carter nodded, his face distraught with fear. We both knew what this meant whether or not we made it out of here or not, we worked hard on this place and we knew one day something like this could happen, we just didn't expect it so soon.

Hayleys hand was gripped tightly in mine, a machete in my other. The crowd behind us was filled with screams of fear, the further back voices were struck with death as the corpses piled on them.

A manly voice screamed from the side of us and Carters head was directed in the direction "That was Ben" I knew what he was going to say but the girl latching to me, we couldn't risk it "I need to help him Katie".

"We said we wouldn't split up" I cried "What if we can't find each other".

Carter pulled me into his arms, Hayley wrapping herself around his waist "I will find you, but I can't leave him baby. Take Hayley somewhere safe, once I'm out I will get through on the walkie" I wanted to argue, I wanted to scream or cry. But if this was Melanie I would be doing the exact same thing "I love you. Both of you".

My husband glued his lips to mine, demanding and quick before he bent down to leave a kiss on Hayleys forehead "I love you" I cried before pulling the small girl towards the gates.

Each step away from him was killing me, but I knew I had to this. I made a promise to protect Hayley and that is what I would do. The herd was piling through every turn, my machete was flying through their skulls as I made a pathway for us, my arm was burning against the weight, but I pushed through.

"Katie!" Hayleys scream echoed through the chaos, her hand was still in mine, but a pair of bony, decaying hands were wrapped around her forearm as she cried.

I sunk my knife through its skull just before its teeth managed to sink into her skin "Did it get you?" The petrified girl shook her head and once again we were running.

I didn't look back as we passed the gates, I knew if I did nothing would stop me from running back to him. I didn't know if any of them made it out, the screams were gruesome, I knew there were fatalities.

We were inching through the tree line when I noticed the outline of a person, its back was turned to us but in its hand was a flare gun and I thought back to the chaos. The single flare flying through the sky and sealing our doom. "Wait here okay" I turned to the girl "Hide in the tree, I will be right there" she nodded as I lifted her to the lowest branch, making sure was out of harm's way before I stormed over to the man.

My machete was raised above my head, my body fuelling with hot red anger as I neared him. When he turned around the red only grew fiercer. The ash blonde hair, evil glare and dark green eyes.

"Jason" The boy smirked at me pulling his hood from his head "I'm going to fucking kill you".

Jason laughed taking a step forward "Oh how I missed that fire of yours. It's been too long Katie".

I knew I didn't have long here; the herd was distracted with what was our home and people, but it wouldn't take long for them to catch up with us. "You did this. After all this time you still held a stupid fucking grudge, there were kids in there" I pointed back to the chaos with shaky hands.

"All is fair in war, there are no rules. You killed so many of my people and when you killed your dad I took over, this was coming you just didn't know it" I hadn't thought of my father lately, the pain after Melanie blocked him out mentally but the anger was still there.

I dropped the machete to the ground, I didn't want to end him quick, that was the smart logical thing to do, but right now the anger was clouding all the radical thoughts. "I did kill a lot of your people and I never regretted it, you doing this just put a hit on all their heads, this time I wont stop until each one of your mutts are dead".

Jason's glare grew angry, his fists turning white as he dropped the flare gun to the floor, his brows furrowed as he took a step forward "Once I kill you, I'm going to take that girl you've hidden and make sure she's raised just like me" The man laughed "She will be just like your father".

My anger was scorching my body from the inside out as I launched at him, plummeting to the floor on top of his body. My punches were direct to his face as I listened to the harsh crack of his nose, the blood staining my knuckles as I pounded him. Jason's fist rammed into my stomach knocking the wind from me as I rolled off him, he took my position on top of me forcing his fist across my cheek.

I could hear Hayley crying in the distance and that was the push I needed to work through the pain.

"She will become everything you hate most in the world" The green-eyed monster taunted.

I laughed as I spat blood from my mouth, slowly pulling the knife from my waist as he thought he had the upper hand. "That will never fucking happen" My knife glided through his chest, his blood pouring over my shirt as he looked down to the wooden handle protruding from his chest.

Blood trickled from his mouth as I rolled him from me, letting his crying state fall to the floor.

"You should have took the win when you had it" I spat just as his eyes closed and the last of his light faded.