14 | Murder

katherine blackthorn

Standing outside the small cheap diner, my eyes are peeled onto the people inside it.

Smiles and laughs are shared, eyes bright with happiness. They were unaware of the depressed girl standing from afar, jealousy written all over her face.

Happiness, freedom and comfort are the emotions I'm not quite compatible with. I've not entirely experienced them.

As I'm sighing, I push open the door, walking into the diner to be welcomed with a strong smell of grease. The bell chimes above the door, signalling the staff that a customer has entered.

"Hi sweetheart," A woman who looked to be in her fifties welcomed me, standing behind the counter with a smile on her face.

I smile back in return with little effort.

"With a pretty face like yours, you should be always smiling," She then said, making my heart warm.

My eyes notice the name tag; Marie.

As I opened my mouth to reply to her compliment, my name was starting to be called by a hurdle of people.

"Katherine?!" They called, my eyes averting to the group which sits at the back of the dinner.

Rome, Darius, Fletcher, Scarlet, Ellie, and Amber smiles at me. Waving at me, trying to gather my attention.

"You go sit with your friends," Marie chuckles, "Tell them I'll be there in a bit."

"Thank you," I softly said, referring to the compliment she said. I started to walk to the table which was placed right at the back. "Hi."

"You made it!" Amber and Rome said with a bright smile on their faces, looking up at me with glazed eyes.

I chuckle, "Of course I did."

"What changed your mind?" Ellie asked, patting the place beside her. I lower myself onto it, taking my jacket off.

"I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't come to celebrate the boys' win," I said, which was half truthful.

I mostly came because I had to get out of the house. Learning about my diagnoses, and that my brother is a rapist, played with me.

The boys smile at me with gratitude, Fletcher mostly eyeing me.

"We haven't ordered yet," Rome chirps. The sound of his soft voice draws my attention.

A smile has overwhelmed his lips.

"I'm fucking starving." Scarlet grumbles.

We all start to pick up a conversation which includes laughing, smiling, and banter.

I was having a good time.

"Sorry for the wait," Marie stands by the table, "What would you guys like?".

We all start to give our orders before Marie scatters away to attend to them.

"Katherine, I have a question," Fletcher states, making my stomach hurl in suspicion.

My eyebrow raises, "Go on."
"Where did you move from?" He asked.
"Georgia," I answered.

"Massive change," Ellie said, sensing the tension between me and Fletcher.

I could feel his eyes trying to unravel me. But he wasn't getting anything in return.

The bell chiming in the background signals that a new customer has entered the diner.