1 | Pilot

katherine blackthorn

Remembering the way I used to be makes me violently sick.

The way I used to manipulate and control everyone around me just to get what I want — It makes my stomach turn.

I was a vindictive, manipulative, narcissistic bitch who used people's secrets to my advantage.
I liked the way I had everyone fear me; I was powerful. Unstoppable.

But I knew I had to stop when I learnt the hard way. Learning that my actions and words had a massive impact on life.

So my family and I moved one year ago. From Georgia to Manhattan, New York.

And it's been alright. I've been placed into therapy, and gained new friends.

It's going steady.

And I hope it stays that way.

"See you at the same time, tomorrow morning, Katherine." My therapist, Miss Jenkin's, said.

I turn around, my hand already grasping the door knob, eager to leave her fairly cramped office. "Have a nice day."

"You too!" She says smiling.

I give her a tight smile, finally leaving her office. As I pass through the halls, I'm connecting my airpods to my phone.

I place the pods into my ears, exiting the building, only to be welcomed with a cold breeze.

'Iris' by Pastel Ghost plays in my ears as I walk to school.

It took ten minutes for me to arrive at school, and people who I sort of communicate with, greet me.

"Hi," Clair, I think her name is, says with a beaming smile on her face. Brown boring eyes, sun kissed hair that flows down her shoulders and pale skin.

"Hiya," I say back.

Back in Georgia, people wouldn't even look at me. Never mind speaking to me — Unless you count sucking up to me.

They were petrified. And I weirdly fucking adored it.

I step in-front of my locker and twist my combination, granting access. As I open it, one of my books falls out, hitting the ground with a thud.

I groaned, about to retrieve the book but the sound of doors being open made me flinch.

The sound of heels and deep laughter fills the halls andI already know who the people are.

The popular group. A group of high-privileged kids who think they're all that because they have money. Well some of them at least.

And, Bella Carter, the centre of attention, fucking hates me. She hates me because apparently her ex, Rome Beaufort, has these feelings for me.

Bella reminds me of me; The leader of the girls. Yet she needs to learn a few things.

I could easily control her pathetic fucking life. But I chose not to because I want to change.

Her two minions; Amber Mathews, and Scarlet Campbell are actually really nice girls. They'd be better without Bella.

They walk through the hallway and I chuckle, witnessing Bella trying to communicate with Rome, but he's ignoring her.

More focused on something else — Me.

I've nearly convinced myself that he doesn't have any feelings for me, but everytime he looks at me with burning eyes of need. It's hypnotising.

Rome is attractive. He has light brunette locks that are naturally curly, hanging above his eyes which is the colour of sage green.

He has olive skin, basically blessed by the sun, and it complements his full lips, perfectly thick and arched eyebrows that had a slit running down the left eyebrow.

A broad build, possibly built from all the soccer training and other activities he does.

Everything about him is charming and alluring. But I'm not getting into a relationship otherwise he'd see the real me.

The ugly me.

My eyes follow along, he's walking past me with his friends eyeing me up and down; Darius Thomas and Fletcher Diago.

All of a sudden, I feel a hand placed onto my shoulder. My eyes advert from Rome, to the red-headed standing in-front of me.

Bella Carter.

"Quit staring at him. He's mine," Bella says with a snarky attitude. She looks me up and down, pure jealousy written all over her face.

I chuckle, shaking my head.

"Is something funny?" She asks.

"Nope," I answer, not wanting to speak because things would just escalate.

"Then why the fuck are you laughing?" She steps forwards, trying to dominate me by staring deep into my eyes. Burning with hatred and growing anger.
I jerk my eyebrow, clicking my tongue. "Why so angry, Bella?".

"Because you're starting to piss me off." She says, flicking her hair.

"Then why don't you do the most mature thing," I trail on, "Back the fuck up. You're getting irritated because I was looking at your ex; It's pathetic. How many times do I have to tell you, you two broke up. Finished. So you have no fucking right to tell me or any girl to quit staring." I mock her.

"He doesn't want anything to do with you, Bella. It's obvious." I cross my arms, faking sympathy by smiling.

Bella stared at me. Her eyes glossy, jaw shaking as if a sob was going to escape.

I felt bad for the girl. She's in love with someone who doesn't want anything to do with her. And yet, she's fucking delusional.

"He does like me." She says, trying to convince herself.

"You must be confused if you believe that." I say, chuckling softly.

I went to comfort her by placing my hand on her shoulder but she wasn't having it.

"Don't fucking touch me you fucking bitch!" Bella screams, "He does like me. And I will prove it."
I watch Bella storm off, Amber and Scarlet following behind.

I shake my head, scoffing. Picking up my book from the ground and closing my locker, walking to my first class; English.

When I arrived, everyone was already seated. I walked to the back of the class, pulling out my chair from underneath the table. I lowered myself onto it and blew a raspberry.

"Good morning," The teacher began to start the lesson, making me sigh of boredom.

I can't be asked to do anything.

Bella has pissed me off, ruining my entire day.
What a total bitch.