6 | Playing boys

katherine blackthorn

"Are you sure you didn't see their face?" I asked, repeating the same question over and over again. At the edge of my seat, desperate for an answer.

  "No, Katherine. For the hundredth time," Ellie looks at me weirdly before attaching her eyes to the road. "Why are you asking anyway?".

  I couldn't tell her that there is a person threatening to spill everything about me.
  I couldn't.

  She'd be drawn.
  She's wondering what I'm hiding. What I'm desperately trying to cover up.

  "Because they were sketchy. They were staring at my house like it was a museum with expensive shit inside." I created a lie.

  She hums, obviously intrigued, but doesn't want to ask further questions.

  Lying can either be helpful or destruction.
  It's a problematic situation to be in.

  "So, are you going to be fucking Rome tonight?" She asks, cutting the silence.

  I'm turning my head towards her, face creased in confusion, "What."

  "What?" She asked, "Why are you staring at me like that?".

  "Why would you think that I'll be fucking Rome, tonight?" I scowl.

  "Because you like him." She stated.
  "No I don't," I laugh.
  "Yes you do!" She said,
  "No I don't," I state.

  "So you wouldn't mind if I went after him?" She asked, attempting to make me jealous.

  "Go on then. Chase after him," I said with a smile. "But don't break his heart," I said, mimicking Fletcher after remembering what he told me.

  "Huh?".

  "Never mind," I shake my head, "How long till we get there?".

  "Approximately ten minutes," She replies.
  I groan, "Let's play a tune."

  I skipped through different music on the radio until I selected Glue by Bicep.

  I look at Ellie, looking for her approval.

  She nods, "You got phenomenal music taste."

  The beat drops, and she's screaming over the music, making me laugh.

  "Get the drinks behind your chair. Pour us some shots!".

  I'm laughing, reaching behind me to feel a large glass bottle and plastic shot cups.

  I'm pouring straight vodka in a shot glass, offering it to Ellie. She takes it, and downs it all in one.

  She screams, "AHHH!".

  I'm pissing myself laughing, pouring myself a shot. I'm consuming it, my throat and heart burning.

  "Fuck yeah!" We both laugh, five minutes away from Romes house.

  As we arrive at his house, people are in his front garden, his house lit with party lights. Music is blaring, loud enough to wake an entire neighbourhood.

  Ellie parks her car, and we both climb out. Walking up to Romes house.

  People smile at me and give me stares.
  Probably because I'm a killer, right?

  "Where's the kitchen?" Ellie asked as we stepped inside the crowded house, reaching for my arm.

  "Why would I know?" I laugh, having the giggles from taking around ten shots.