Chanced Upon

"It seems like I can't just get out of this partnership unless I have a reasonable excuse."

Sakura found herself pacing in her room, clearly troubled by recent events at the restaurant and Sasuke's office. It had only been a few days, but things weren't getting any easier. She attempted to steer clear of Sasuke, but it proved to be tough. Initially, her interactions with Sasuke didn't really matter, but lately, she realized she was starting to develop feelings for him. She felt adrift.

Ino, observing Sakura's discomfort, raised an eyebrow. She had only heard details from her cousin Deidara, who mentioned that Sasori found Sakura to be a nice girl, though he didn't see a future between them.

"Looks like things didn't go well with Sasori either, huh?" Ino inquired.

"You caught wind of that, didn't you?" Sakura sighed, slumping onto her bed. While she hadn't been particularly keen on Sasori, she had hoped he might provide a distraction from Sasuke. However, after that night in Sasuke's office and the ensuing texts from Sasori, it seemed like Sasori may have picked up on the tension between her and Sasuke.

"I heard something about some guy interrupting your date and you vanishing for nearly an hour," Ino commented.

Sakura buried her face in her hands, "It was Sasuke. Out of nowhere, he showed up, banging on the window like a madman. I don't know how he knew I was there! It's like he's everywhere I go! Just like at the bar, and now this. It's as if the universe doesn't want me to be with anyone."

Ino chuckled softly, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was stalking you. I'm just teasing, though. Maybe this is the universe nudging you to pull yourself together."

Skeptical, Sakura gazed at Ino, "And how, exactly, am I supposed to do that? You have no idea what happened the last time we crossed paths. We made it abundantly clear that we hate each other, and that won't change. Having sex him was already a mistake, Ino. What was I thinking? Did I believe that if I fucked him, I could control him? I was naive to think it would work. Instead, I've become attached. I don't know... I've never felt something like this."

Rising from the floor, Ino settled beside Sakura on the bed, "Perhaps the universe is teaching you to be more resilient or to break down your walls. I know you're afraid of something... is it because of your parents?"

Surprised, Sakura raised an eyebrow, "What about my parents? I've had relationships in the past; they weren't tied to my parents."

Ino shook her head, "That's not what I meant. Maybe Sasuke's personality reminds you of your parents... perhaps that's why you're afraid?"

Could that be it?

Sakura's upbringing had been strained, particularly her relationship with her mother. Constant criticism and belittling marked her childhood. Her father, while not verbally abusive like her mother, had his own moments of anger that led to physical harm. After college, she severed ties and hadn't spoken to them since.

But Sasuke... could he even compare to her parents? Yes, he was insufferable and obnoxious, but he wasn't anything like her parents. The torment they put her through for years was unparalleled. So why was Sasuke different? Was it because she thought she could change him, or because she saw a wounded soul similar to her own within him? Maybe she and Sasuke had more in common than she had realized.

"Honestly, Ino? I don't know. I really don't know if I'm being honest with you. Right now, my focus needs to be on not allowing this to affect my studies, work, and life. I just need to move on and forget about it. At least that's what he told me; he hates me, and I hate him," Sakura said, heading towards the bathroom. "Anyway, I have to pitch in at the hospital tonight, so maybe it will be a good distraction."