Chapter 42 - Heart Shaped Box 2

At the same time, Ōta ward, New Edo, Nihon

"Urghh... ahhhh?"

"No, Hagane,
just protecting the cocoon for now is enough."

Staring up into the polished surface of a window across his position on top of a narrow skyscraper, Teivel observed as the girl, reflected in the glass, nodded back at him before her face vanished from the surface.

Aki stood to his left as she observed the happenings from down below, her facial features overwritten with delightful curiosity.

"Aghrrr."

Indeed, he silently agreed with her; the golden smoke emitting from this soul holder was quite an interesting sight. It's been years—too many to count—since he last saw this familiar view.

After killing the imposter, 'Kat' as she called herself, he lost hope of ever encountering any of them, but here they are, and he could feel the opportunity coming into his grasp again.

The dice were finally rolling; he was tired of waiting over 160 years for her to show up.

"Don't worry, I will come back for you;
just do as I say, Ninigi."

Her promise ran deep inside of his core, his patience running thin, reaching its limit. What was only meant to be a couple of years at best turned into a century and a half, the last time he saw her still vivid in his mental eye.

Melting stars and a broken world surrounded them back then, and her hand sullied in blood—her own and that of her slaughtered kin—reaching out to him.

"Hide Kusanagi, until I come back."

Squeezing his eyes down hard at the memory, he focused back on the situation before him. He could swell in the past for another time. Watching over the soul holder who summoned the golden cloud, covering the entire section where his cocoon was located.

Who was he again? Nico? Or that EM' guy?

It didn't matter who he was in the end; Teivel would strike him down just like he did with Kat if he ever became an unpleasant obstacle.
She never mentioned not wanting to kill them,
didn't she?

He placed himself on the edge of the parapet; for now, he would wait and see. One of the lost children could deal with him just fine, remembering its previous onslaught on the duo.