Chapter 23 - everything black 2

Ex-By' district, near the plaza, at the same time, Neo Nova

at the same time, Neo Nova

Cracking her fingers like twigs would snap under immense pressure, Kat was ready to shed more blood—or, in this case, blueish black goo, or whatever emerged out of lost souls.

I didn't matter to her either way. Not that she was so keen on killing, which it was in the end. Killing. Pretending that lost souls weren't human once was just as blind-sighted as eating meat and wondering where all the little lambs went.

But there was no known cure for the disease that came with Ever Night, and watching the deformed—more monster than human—like creatures crying in agony wasn't high on the mercy scale either.

So annihilating it was.

As her mother would say to her as a child,
'rather be the hunter than the prey, and it will keep all the trouble away.'

Scraping at her tired eyes, Kat wanted nothing more than to finally hit the pillows. Feeling like a dead woman walking all these past days even stretched her limits. After this fight was over, she would take the well-deserved nap of the century.

Cranking her neck to the side, her gaze drifted over to Nicolai, or rather 'Nico' as the others called him.
He didn't seem to recognize her, and if he did, he didn't let it show.

Sneaky bastard. I will deal with you later.

She thought in antipathy as she fixed her view on the lurking lost one in front of them again.

Neither looking at the two,
Kat threw a question at them.

"So... what's the plan?"

All three of them stared ahead at the lost one as EM' glanced her way, a suspicious look on his face.

"We have a plan; you, on the other hand, should get the hell out of here."

He snapped at her, probably still angry at her stunt mere minutes ago.

She rolled with her eyes like a five-year-old – she couldn't help it. He aggravated her to her core, and she couldn't tell why.

Nico's eyebrows went off the rails as he watched them bicker like an old married couple.
He tried to calm them down.

"Uff, man, did you forget what she did with the wall? You want to be next?
Chill the fuck out and let her help."