Chapter 35 - bad dream

Seven hours later, right at the border of the Huan mainland, unknown location

Seven hours later,
right at the border of the Huan mainland,
unknown location

A young woman stood at the top of a shrine made out of stone as she swiped fallen ginkgo leaves to the side as a harsh breeze passed her way, scattering her pile of collected leaves in all directions. Annoyed at the sudden wind, she huffed out a sight, glancing at her newly arranged mess.

The wind blew stronger a second time around, making her cover her eyes from the flying leaves that slapped against her exposed skin.

Darkness overtook her vision as the sun seemed to disappear, cladding her in shadows. She threw her eyes open, observing as a gigantic shadow moved over her, its movements strangely agile and flowing—like a sea serpent winding its way through water.

Catching her off-guard, she snapped her head to the sky, not believing her very own eyes—a majestic white-golden dragon graced the horizon far above the shrine, something bizarre stripped over the middle of its back as it drifted over the land. Like a dream come true, she felt as if fantasy blended into reality.

A last wave of wind disheveled her tided-up hair as she watched the white dragon-like creature start to vanish from sight, its form growing smaller and smaller with each passing second.

Euphoria bubbled up inside of her as she discarded her broom to the side, running in the same direction the serpent was flying off to, attempting to catch more of the prestige being. Soon she couldn't run any further as the cliff came in sight. Grabbing at the railing, she stepped up to one of its bars to get her body higher.

So the old legend of a white lóng roaming the sky was true after all.

She laughed to her heart's content; she couldn't wait to tell her Yéyé.

"But was that a hat stripped onto its back?"

Leaving this particular detail to herself, she was sure as hell Grandpa would believe anything but that.

Maybe she was dreaming after all.

///

Several hours later, Kat found herself lazily slouching on the other side of the couch. One eye popped open, silently observing EM's sleep.

His sleeping self appeared to be in great distress as his eyeballs rolled around erratically behind the back of his eyelids. It looked like he had a nightmare of some kind, sweat dripping from his forehead onto his jeans-clad knee.