Chapter 24 - everything black 3

In the year 3176, Tau village, inside the Belyy Taiga, somewhere on the cold continent

inside the Belyy Taiga,
somewhere on the cold continent

Snow, so fair and pure, fell from the sky in cloudy masses as she ran across the white forest. Its name befitting in more ways than one. Trees stood tall and proud in a parallel line before her as she tried to catch up to her friends, who were way in the front, as she could barely see them anymore.

"Wait up for me!"

She yelled behind them in a slavic tongue, exhilaration pouring out of her with every step she took.

Picking up her pace, she rushed further forward, trying to get closer. She shouldn't have let herself be distracted by the glowing blue flora like that, now paying the price as her lungs burned from the cold morning air around her.

But she couldn't help herself; the moss fascinated her; its cornflower blue shade was a strong contrast to all the white and gray in this icy forest that was her home.

Not watching her step as she continued to race, her feet dangled up between a black vine that stuck out from the ground beneath her. Her balance was ruined as she staggered forward, falling down a meter below, face first into the freshly fallen snow.

Screaming and pounding with her little fist into the snow under her, she pushed her face to the side, gaining some much-needed air in her lungs. A silver-grey, now wet, strand plastered across her face started to freeze up in the cold atmosphere, making it stiffen as hard as a stick.

Closing her eyes in embarrassment, her cheeks turned pink. She wondered why she hadn't died yet, considering just how many times she fell down like a stone thrown into the watery depths beyond.

Composing herself again, she started to push herself off the ground before catching something small laying a couple of meters away from her, the heavy snow already camouflaging its form. Unable to recognize the silhouette, she approached it with curiosity but still with a little bit of caution, as the forest could be very deathly and unpredictable sometimes.

As she came closer, its form became clearer, revealing a small, lifeless bird laying in a pile of snow. It's neck appeared to be broken, as a smudge of blood indicated its injury, probably frozen to death outside of the protection of its nest.

It's still a baby.

She thought dejectedly as she crouched down to stroke its tiny wings in sadness at the little ones demise.

She cradled it in her hands and held it against her chest as she caressed the dead little dove. Melancholy look on her childish face. She wasn't supposed to; her mother once scolded her, and if someone were ever to witness it, it would be a disaster.

Just this one time.

She thought to herself, looking frantically around to see if someone or her friends were watching her by any chance. She couldn't spot any other soul near her, feeling safe for the moment. She felt boldness rush through her heart at the prospect of using her gift once more.

Enclosing the dead baby dove into her fist, her hands started to glow in a luminescent green light around them. Bringing her hands in front of her lips, she inhaled deeply before pushing out a soft breath inside the small gap between her palms and blowing on the tiny bird's head. Breathing life into it.

A harsh breeze blew past her frame as she waited eagerly for it to wake up again. A few dreadful seconds later, she heard a low 'chirp' followed by another.

Scrapping against her little finger with its muzzle, the dove came to life again, begging to be freed of its confines, which were her hands.

She let it go happily, proud of herself for resurrecting it perfectly. If her mother could see this, she wouldn't be so mad about using her gift in the first place.

"Nee, nee, are you happy now?
That not everything is black anymore."

She asked no one in particular, watching as the baby bird spread its wings and flew away from her hands, right into the cloudy sky above.

"...I am."

She answered her own question sorrowfully.

CHAPTER 24 END