Chapter 18 - paradise circus 4

Approximately 1300 years ago,
unknown location, Nihon

Children of their village ran around her kin, grabbing her by her hand and dragging her off to the pond to play as she watched them from afar. She sat on a hill farther away under a wisteria tree, as always, with a watchful eye holding over them.

Her weapon resting beside her at all times, she was the only warrior out of them after all. They also weren't complete, as three of them were missing, leaving them with a smaller number.

Two others of her kin rested not far away from the on-going commotion by the children and played a game of shogi, concentration running through their faces. It was a peaceful day—a rare moment for them. There was always a fight, a war or anything of that kind right at the front of their throats.

She tried to relax herself just for one minute as she closed her eyes and leaned her head back, her long hair gliding off her shoulders. Listening on to the heartfelt laughter of the young and the tease-full bickering of the old.

Just like this, she could forget, even if just for one instant, the voice inside her head went still.
Like this, she could finally breathe.

You can't forget me.

It echoed inside of her, pushing her consciousness back to the front of her mind.

She teared her eyes open, feeling the invasion into her soul with every breath. The voice back ripped at her cold and possessive, demanding attention from her. She knew it wasn't able to go all the way in, so she decided to play it innocent.

'Never.'

She replied short, not willing to drag this conversation longer than necessary.

A crippling laugh halted in her mind again, and than,

Fine, I will let it slide this time.

It proceeded to question her further.

What are you doing? I told you to always stay close, but three of you are not here.

It may have talked to her in a calm tone, but she could clearly hear the rage behind it directed at her. Only at her. She couldn't hide her smile, cracking up a bit. It may be inside her mind, but she knew that it couldn't see everything.

'Relax; I have everything under control, just as you wanted.'

She straight-out lied to it, testing how far she could fool around with it. There was silence in her head; the strange being was probably in deep thought.

After a long wait, a simple yet dreadful answer eventually came her way.

We will see.

It hung in her mind, deafening every other sound around her; not even the children's sweet banter could reach her.

Balling her hands up into tight fists, she waited a few minutes for another word, but nothing came anymore, leaving only endless nothingness in her pool of thoughts.

"What are you doing?"

A male voice asked behind her; at first, she couldn't tell if it was in her brain or actually real. It felt irritating—like a déjà vu—with the same words used again and again.

Snapping her head up, a figure sat next to her on the lush green meadow, his face filled with bewilderment as she gazed to the side and then straight back at him.

Realizing this time to be very real, she let out a shaky breath, looking back down at her other kin.

"Nothing."

She replied, bored, eyes fixed on anything but him,

"Just enjoying our paradise."

"Paradise?"

He repeated her answer, rolling it around with his tongue. The taste was a sweet-sour one. They often tried to build it—a paradise—for themselves, for the mortals around them, for every being.
He followed her trace of sight with his own eyes, a soft smile plastered across his lips as he watched the tranquil scene before them.

"Maybe, as long as we are not alone."

She didn't give him an answer to that, not being able to truly agree.

Even if they were together, even if right now her supposed kin was right next to her, she never felt lonelier than right now in all of her existence.

This right here is just a paradise circus.

She thought, her heart turning callous,

and I refuse to be the animal in it's cage.

CHAPTER 18 END