Chapter 8 - enjoy the silence 2

European branch HQ, present day, Neo Nova

"You think he suspects something?"

Nico hushed into EM's back as he appeared behind him. EM's posture more rigid than usual, met him with silence.

Someone's pissed.

Nico's first presumption as to EM's lack of a response. They were ready to head out again when a message echoed in all the facilities of the HQ a few moments ago.

"Captain EM' and first lieutenant Nico are called to the grand hall no. 1 asap. Majors orders."

It sounded monotonous and boring as they announced the order over the speakerphone.

Dragging his tired body behind him, Nico pushed an overly long sight out of his lungs. Cracking his knuckles and turning to him, he caught EM's piercing gaze.

"This man is always up to no good; let's hope he just wants to scream at someone."

EM' replied in the end, already annoyed that they were yet again called out by Gyro to meet him in the grand hall.

What is he aiming at, wanting both Nico and me to get a lecture? He was the captain of their unit; wouldn't he be enough?

EM' pondered in thought, walking alongside Nico.
Picking up their pace even more, both stormed into the direction of the prime hall of the HQ's.

Following the narrow corridor—blank of any kind of pictures or statues—only faint outlines reminding of what this place once was. Opening up to an enormous lobby coated in copper and velvet, unlike the rest of the fortress. The prime hall of the first of the twin towers was as gigantic as it was empty, devoid of any human traces.

Coming to a halt at the grand stairs of the lobby, stretching into the next floor, Nico and EM' couldn't make out a single soul.

"The fuck 'asap' my ass. No one's here!"

Nico bawled out, his cry clanging in EM's ears. Turning their backs to the staircase, they scanned the hall again, but there was still no one in sight.

Wondering if this was just a prank or if Gyro liked to make fools out of them was beyond them. Standing there for another minute, nothing seemed to happen. Only making out their shallow breathing.

"Let's get out of here before someone decides to change their mind."

Nico exclaimed, his voice echoing in the vast halls. EM' nodded in approval.

"We will take the blame later."

On their way back to the exit, a clattering sound made its way to their ears. The floor vibrated in rhythm with the footsteps of something approaching.

Barely fast enough to see it coming as Nico and EM' spin around, a large, solid object was thrown across the room, hitting Nico square in the face. As he stumbled to catch his balance, his nose already starting to bleed from the impact, an old book with a reddish cover landed at his feet with a soft thud.

'Management and leadership of military institutions for dummies' was scribbled on top of the book's cover. Reading its title with mirth as EM' leaned down to pick it up.