Chapter 5 - straight shooter 2

Back at Neo Nova, outside of 'Guns n' Gals', present day

"Get out, you little punk!"

Hearing the commotion, Kat turned around, watching Anan get kicked out of the shop and the grumpy owner throw something at his head.

"...and never come back again!"

She guessed right the first time; it really didn't go well for him. Anan kept sitting in the same position, not moving a muscle since he got kicked out seconds ago. Scratching his head, he took the small box that was thrown at him, staring at it intensely, only to end up stuffing it in his pocket afterwards. He spined his head towards her, laughing nervously as he continued to scratch his head.

"I think I'm done now."

She stared at him for another moment before replying.

"Oh, you only think you're done?"

Her right eye started to twitch; this guy was unbelievable. First, he left her out in this scorching heat for over an hour, only to come out empty-handed. Her gunshot still hurt like a little bitch, which was also thanks to him.

"What were you even trying to do? He kicked you out for god's sake."

She would probably kill him sooner than later if he continued to act like a five-year-old. Was he really supposed to work for the European branch?

"Come on, don't be mad; I got what I wanted."

He watched her sheepishly as he started to stand up, dusting himself of the sand that was everywhere around them.

"Fine."

She hissed back,

"Can we go now?"

She had already started to walk off the porch as Anan skipped a step to catch up to her. Walking side by side, she decided to try again and ask him out. Apparently, to her displeasure, Anan loved to talk. Oh boy, he really talked way too much for her taste, and not one single thing was of any use to her until now. She learned that the hard way.

Since yesterday, they have been travelling from Belra right to the outskirts of Neo Nova. At first, she was so grateful for the ride he offered after shooting her. What would have taken her three days to travel, they managed in less than one. She surely would still take the road by foot any day after that, rather than ever drive with him again. His driving skill revived that of an old man, and his loosely tongue even more.

Well, here goes nothing...

She didn't know what was worse—her gun wound or her head that was about to evaporate—when he mentioned his stupid work shenanigans one more time.

"You promised me if I wouldn't snoop around in the shop back there, you would tell me all about the New Moscow sanatorium and its inhabitants."

The sanatorium was more of a prison than a healing centre, to be truthful. Once a human came into contact with a lost soul, they were deemed contaminated and were chased down like dogs, thrown into such institutions to never be seen again. It was for the safety of us all, better let them rot, then be a potential threat.