Mission: Impossible (Serious)

Many of the materials in this chapter are original.

- Duan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suburbs of Kirclus, Kingdom of Irnetia

As the sun set, the sky was dyed entirely black. The moon was just a crescent, and only faint, delicate stars shone in the dark expanse. Even the earnest twinkling of those stars was obscured by clouds drifting in the wind, and the surroundings were engulfed in complete darkness.

In this eerie space where there is no wind or sound, a figure, almost blending into the atmosphere, approached a house in the forest. Clad in all black, making no sound with his footsteps, not even the rustle of clothes, the man was as inconspicuous as it gets. Though suspicious in broad daylight, he had successfully blended into the darkness of this night.

The man's name is Mark, an agent of the Gra Valkas Empire currently infiltrating Irnetia on a mission from his country to assassinate someone. Approaching the door of the house, he opened the technologically primitive lock with ease. For him, who has infiltrated numerous important facilities in the Kain Divine Kingdom, it's easier than turning a child's hand.

Silently, he opened the door and walked towards the room of the target he had previously investigated.

"........."

In the target's room, a space dominated by silence and darkness, he demonstrated the sharp vision acquired through rigorous training.

There's a modest bed in the room. There lies the target, a young girl – a Divine Dragon rider known as Leica in her home country, quietly breathing in her sleep. She is referred to as the "Devil" or the "White Killer" and is considered the "Greatest Nemesis of the Gra Valkas Empire."

This girl is still young, not that he has hesitation in offing this girl with his own hands, having ended many even younger in his previous world.

He took out a knife in front of her and—

What are you doing?

"—!!!?"

Suddenly, a transparent yet ominous voice came from behind. When he turned around, a beautiful girl stood blocking the door. The only things distinguishing her from a human are the horns on her head, wings on her back, and a tail. Extremely beautiful and terrifying. Her face hidden in the darkness, only her eyes glowed in a reddish-purple color, floating in the black space.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"........."

Cold sweat trickled down his cheeks. He felt nothing just a moment ago, but now only one emotion swirled in his heart.

"Heey, what are you doing to my Leica?"

Overwhelming, the terror of death. Even in his previous world, he had never felt this emotion to such an extent. The door is blocked by this girl, and the window is locked. The window glass is quite thick, and trying to force his way out would likely result in her catching him in the process.

There's no escape. He quickly reached that conclusion.

He turned again, aiming the knife at Leica—

—At the next moment, the portion of his right arm from the forearm down disappeared. Where there was supposed to be an arm attached just moments ago, now it's burnt, emitting black smoke.

"—!!!?"

For an instant, just a mere instant, his thoughts come to a halt. It would not have been a significant problem against a regular human opponent, just that momentary lapse.