𝟒𝟑

𝐒𝐤𝐲'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
The sun was still growing across the horizon, beams of light shining through the window and perfectly highlighting Ellie's still sleeping face.
I almost touched her, the urge to run a finger across the freckles on her cheeks was hard to resist, but I resisted anyway.

She needed this, the sleep, I mean. I can't imagine she had been getting much over the last week if she was stressing about having to go home- so I let her be.
I was worried, sure. It would be the first time that we would be apart. And sure, some would argue a three-hour drive isn't that far, but I worry that being back home would create easy access to her temptations.

I didn't know much about her history with drugs, but I do know that home is where it started.

Does she still have friends there that would offer her something?
Will she go out of her way to find it?

I would never ask these questions to her directly. She carries enough guilt.

I silently watched her, and listened to her shallow breaths. Her eyelashes flutter, opening a small amount before closing, and the space between her eyebrows starting to twitch, "Good morning, baby." I smiled at her as her eyes finally opened, and brushed a jagged layer of hair away from her cheek.
She grumbled, seemingly wanting to resist the consciousness, and I can't say I blame her.

She turned on her back, and let out a sigh as her arm came up to rest above her head on the pillow, "Mornin'." Her voice low, rough, and still heavy with sleep.
It was tempting.

My phone buzzed, and for a second, I wanted to ignore it, wanting to soak in these last moments to simply look at Ellie and enjoy her while she was still here, but I turned over to grab it from the nightstand.

"Everything good?"

Abby.
Of course, always taking it upon herself to make sure everyone is safe, and I can't help but think that this is an indirect apology for last night.

"Yes ma'am"

I bit my tongue- or more like held back my thumbs from giving her more unnecessary attitude and left it at that.

I turned back around, and placed an arm over Ellie's stomach, scooting myself closer to her, "When are you leaving?" I whispered, tracing a finger over her collarbone that peaked out from under her tank top.

Ellie's chest noticeably rose and fell deeper at my question, "After I pack, I guess." She sighed, grabbing my hand, and turning on her side to face me.

She held my hand between us, the corner of her lips tempting a smile, but it was a sympathetic one at best.

"I'll miss you."

She brought my hand up to her face, and grazed my knuckles with the plush of her lips, "I'm miss you too, sweet girl." She kissed my hand, the warmth of her on my skin making it impossible to bury this wave of emotion.

Even after last night, feeling like I was just another coping mechanism for Ellie-

Maybe, it's my turn to use her as my own way of coping.

I moved my face closer to hers on the pillow and connected our lips. At first, It was simple, but I deepened it, slipping my tongue inside, "Can I taste you?" I said against her lips and backed away when I realized she wasn't kissing me back.