𝟑𝟑

The room was finely furnished- velvet booths and chairs. Ironed white tablecloths with centerpieces of roses accompanied by white candles that flickered warm light on her face.

I looked around at the neighboring tables- couples dressed to the nines, some looked helplessly in love, anniversary maybe? Or perhaps the man had a secret affair with a woman that looked far too young for him. Was she his nanny? Assistant? It's something I'd normally wonder if I wasn't with her.

I took my time admiring the details of everything- a bracelet on my wrist that I hadn't worn since I was eight but tonight, for whatever reason, was deemed important enough to wear, a half-full glass of wine that was before me that I definitely didn't order myself, and a plate decorated with food that would have any still life artist on their knees.

Everything was beautiful- she was beautiful, from the short stands of hair that covered her eyebrow to the light that flicked off the top of her nose.

"How is it?" Ellie asked, bringing the fork up to her lips as she made eye contact. She was smiling, but I could tell she was trying to hide it.

To be honest- my appetite was little to none. The food looked and smelled extraordinary, but the anxiety I felt from being in such a fancy place made it harder to enjoy.

I laughed a little harder than what was appropriate at her seemingly simple question as I picked up the wine, taking a big gulp before setting it back down. "It's... well-" I paused, smiling like a idiot as I looked that the wine inside the glass, "it's a lot."

"Oh no, you hate it, don't you?" She chuckles, setting her fork down to pick up the equally fancy glass that was filled with water to take a sip- god, even something as simple as hydrating yourself she made hot.

"No, no- I don't hate it.." I shrugged as I looked everywhere except where her eyes were because I knew they would be on me, "I'm just scared what the cost is."

"Oh, I wasn't going to have you pay-"

"No-" I cut her off, finally having the courage to meet her eyes, "not money, Ellie.."
She tilts her head to the side, unsure of where I was going with this.
I lean in, interlocking my fingers as I rest my chin on them, "what's the reason for all of this?"

Ellie sits back, using her fork to push around a perfectly steamed vegetable on her plate, "there's no catch, sky. I just wanted to treat you, am I not allowed to do that?" She was quick with diverting the question altogether- good thing I learned how to read in between the lines with her.

I shrugged as I sat back, picking up my glass to finish the liquid inside of it. I wasn't denying that she couldn't treat me, but I wasn't outwardly giving her permission either- a happy medium is where I wanted to keep it for now.

-
Dinner was had, conversations were spoke, and bills were paid- what now? Go back to our retrospective rooms and forget? I wasn't ready for that.

I kept my eyes straight ahead at the campus binding as Ellie shuts off the car engine, neither of saying anything, too afraid the next words from our mouths could be an exchange of goodbyes.

Maybe, it was the three glasses of wine that I somehow managed to drink under the radar, but I felt like I could cry. There was so many things to wanted to say to her, but none of it felt like it was the right time.

"So-" Ellie broke the silence as she rubbed her thumb over the bottom of the steering wheel, "I um- fuck... this is harder than I thought it would be." Ellie said the last part quieter as if it wasn't directed at me.

I turned to look at her, but she wasn't looking at me, "what is?" I asked her as I furrowed my brows together in a confusion.

The atmosphere had changed, and Ellie seemed off about something. I heard a tremble in her voice, and her posture seemed smaller in the driver's seat as if she wanted to diminish herself, "saying goodbye." She answered quietly- a few seconds of silence followed before I nodded a silent agreement.