𝟒𝟏

Rays beamed through the pines high overhead, and a morning dew soiled the dirt beneath my body.
I was dying. That was very much apparent.
The hungry straggler's teeth sunk into my flesh, blood dripping from its jowls.

Always so fucking hungry.

The pain was extraordinary, but I didn't fight back. That's what it wanted- a fight- something to play with, a game that would only increase its appetite and satisfaction.

For a moment, the beast's eyes met mine. Green, crystallized prisms that held so many untold promises and fur that shined chestnut when the sun hit it just right. The same beast that saved me in some far distant memory that I will surely forget when my body wakes, but in this body, I remember her.

——————
I stared blankly at my laptop screen, tapping the end of my pen against a worn notebook. I needed to study, I had to, but the words on the screen were simply just something for my eyes to fixate on while my head wandered.

Even with Ellie out of sight and out of mind, I still always think about her, whether it be something she had said or done. I can't help but micro-analyze everything when it comes to her, and with last night's events still fresh in my mind, now, I don't know what to think.

No, this isn't me regretting the decision, but I think anyone would question the morals of their partner if they started such a thing. What was the reason? Was there any other than the fact she wanted to- that I wanted to?

I groaned into the empty room and slammed my laptop shut. For the first time in a while, I was alone. Abby had gone to the gym, both her and Ellie giving me the space I needed, but this time, I actually felt alone.
It is nostalgic feeling like this, singular, and insufficient. A small thing that takes up more space than what it's worth, and only had value when needed by unforgiving hands.

Abby enters the room, giving me the distraction I was secretly hoping for before I over think myself to death.

"Heya" She greeted, waving a small hand and sweat shining against the highs of her cheeks.

"Hey."

I returned the smile, looking back down to my notes on the paper, but still snuck glances at her. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be, hell, neither of us had brought it up since, but I felt like it needed to be talked about.

Abby threw a towel over her shoulder, and a duffle bag over the other before looking at me, "I'm gonna go grab food after I shower. Do you want something?"

Somehow it felt like a relief, and both a disappointment that she would ask such a simple, innocent question. A relief because I don't think I'll ever be ready for a sex conversation with a friend/ ex friends with benefits, and a disappointment because I was too chicken shit to bring it up first.

"Oh... uh-"

"I was gonna go to that Mexican restaurant on 12th. I know how much you like that place." Abby pushed, raising her eyebrows playfully with a smirk.

I scoff, rolling my eyes, "I'm good, but thanks for the offer Ms. Anderson."

Abby's eyebrows raise, "Oh wow... Ms. Anderson, huh? I can get used to that."
This time, I rolled my eyes harder, turning the page in my notebook, "Careful, or else I'll sic Ellie on you." I looked back up, giving her a look that oozed empty threats, but it felt good that we could still joke like we did before without it being weird.

Abby's hands go up, mimicking a surrender, "Oh no, we don't want that. She was just starting to warm up to me." She laughed under her breath, and I joined in.

Abby turned away and turned the door handle before glancing back at me, "If you change your mind just text me, yeah?"
I give her a thumbs up but keep my eyes on the paper until I hear the door open and close. Once again, I am alone, and the silence has never been so loud- ear shattering.