𝟐𝟑

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with?"
Abby asked, a worried furrow in her brow, holding some textbooks in her hands.

She was already running late for her next class, even after I insisted I would be fine going back to my old dorm to retrieve the rest of my things. Abby still seemed uncertain, I reassured her repeatedly that I wouldn't it be going back alone.

"Seriously, I'll be fine, go to class." I dismiss her, a lightheartedness in my tone and shooing her out of the room.

She gave me a stern look, one of "I don't like this one bit, but fine."

She existed the room, saying a soft "see you later" before shutting the door behind her.

I take a deep breath- one that I felt like I had to hold when Abby was around. It's not like I didn't trust her or think she'd be shitty about it- I just didn't want her to get involved with my baggage.

Over the last couple of days, I've learned a lot about her. She was older than most students and in her 6th year of her major. She was studying psychology to be a physical therapist, her dad being a doctor himself, and wanting to follow in his footsteps.

It was a relief talking to her. She was like an open book and seemed more emotionally level-headed, unlike my ex roommate.

Abby was like sunrises by the lake, calm and only chirps of the birds breaking through the stillness of the morning dew. She was simple, calm and reliable- at least that's my first impressions of her.

If I had any self-respect, I'd forget- forget about Ellie and all the shit we went through, good and bad. I'd move on and put my time and heart into someone that would never make me feel the way Ellie did, but when you love someone, it makes it more complicated than that.

Ellie was a wildfire, a burning hot force, destroying anything that gets in its path, but in the same breath, she was an ocean, some parts deep and unknown- untouched by the human hand, giant waves ruthless with its fury and other parts vibrant with color and life.
I wanted to be the first to know what was beneath the surface.

It was 3:30 on the dot, purposefully waiting that extra half hour in case Ellie was running late to her classes again.

'Can you meet me at the old dorm in 5?' I bit my nails, anxiously awaiting for Olivia to respond, the 3 dots almost immediately appearing.

'Yes ma'am :)'

Olivia was going to try to make light of the situation, wanting to distract me from the weight of it, and to be honest, I'm grateful. If she wasn't here to help me with this, I'd be more of a mess than I already am.

"O-okay." I take a deep, shaky breath, to myself, picking up the plastic totes that Abby so graciously lent me use to pack my things, and leave the room.

-
"Seriously why did you bring your raggedy stuffed animals with you?"

I furrow my brow, shooting liv a unamused stare.
"Is now really the time to hate on me?"

She forces an apology, slightly laughing at my distressed state, well... distressed was a understatement. I was sweating, shoving all my belongings into boxes as fast as I could. I wanted to be long gone way before I knew Ellie would be returning.
-

It felt like no time at all had passed, but really it had been a couple hours, olivia and I both working together in organized chaos; eventually, the room had no traces left of me.

I wiped my forehead with my sleeve, ridding it of the sweat that formed as I put the last overpacked tote outside of the room before returning to make sure I didn't forget anything.