Chapter 48 - A Protective Brother's Threat

Rimuru POV

"'What's the worst that could happen?'" Arthur's voice oozed with dripping sarcasm as he mockingly imitated my earlier statement, his tone laced with a hint of amusement. As we walked out of Cynthia's office, the sterile fluorescent lights flickered above us, casting an eerie glow on the drab hallway walls.

I couldn't help but let out an amused chuckle, finding his attempt at imitating me mildly entertaining. "Hey, don't blame me for this one," I replied, shaking my head in disbelief. "Who would've thought that Cynthia would ask us to be professors on the first day? It's like she plucked the idea out of thin air."

Arthur's shoulders slumped, his face etched with frustration. He released a deep sigh, his exasperation palpable. "I know, it's insane. I never expected this to happen."

"Anyway, let's go grab something to eat at the cafeteria," I suggested, my stomach growling in protest. Sylvie perched on my shoulder as we started walking in the direction of the cafeteria.

"Do you have a plan to deal with this?" Arthur asked, keeping pace beside me. He slipped his hands into his pockets, his brow furrowed with deep thought.

I tilted my head slightly, my mind working quickly to process the situation at hand. "Right now? No, but I'm sure we'll figure something out," I replied, a mischievous smirk playing at the corners of my lips. "We've always managed to overcome challenges in the past, haven't we?"

Arthur nodded, his gaze fixed ahead on the bustling crowd. "Yeah, you're right. We've been through crazier situations, and somehow we've always managed to survive."

"Exactly, this is just another hurdle we'll conquer," I declared, patting Arthur on the back.

As we stepped through the double doors of the bustling cafeteria, the aroma of freshly cooked food enveloped us, a tantalizing symphony of flavors that mingled with the lively chatter and laughter that filled the air. The tantalizing scent beckoned to our senses, causing our stomachs to emit a low grumble of anticipation, urging us to find a table quickly.

Navigating through the sea of hungry students, the cacophony of voices and clattering of trays filled the bustling dining hall. Amidst the commotion, I heard Elijah's voice calling out from a table across the room. We maneuvered our way through the crowd, dodging trays and weaving between students, until we finally reached our group table.

"Hey guys," I greeted with a smile, my voice cutting through the lively buzz of the cafeteria. The air was filled with anticipation and excitement as students bustled about, finding their seats amidst the swirling energy of conversation and laughter. Taking my place at the table, I eagerly joined my friends. "What's up?"

Lily's eyes sparkled with delight as she returned my smile, "Very good. And you two?"

Arthur glanced at me before speaking. "Well... we actually became Professors for the Practical Magical Manipulation class,"

Elijah, who had been busily savoring a mouthful of food, nearly choked at the surprising revelation. His wide eyes mirrored his astonishment as he sputtered, trying to find his voice amidst the shock. "What? You guys are professors now?" he finally managed to blurt out, his words punctuated by a mix of disbelief and awe.

Unable to contain my amusement, a soft chuckle escaped my lips, "Yes, it's true," I confirmed, allowing the moment to hang in the air for a beat. "You can now call us Professors Leywin."

Sylvia's curiosity was piqued, and she paused in feeding Sylvie, her gaze fixed intently on us. "But I heard that Art was the one who defeated the professor. Why did you become a professor too, Ri?" she asked, a genuine interest shining in her eyes.