Chapter 36 - Rumors

****Dragonspine Inn****

[2 years later]

INSIGNIFICANT ADVENTURER'S POV:

I clinked my mug of ice-cold beer down on the wooden table as I settled into my chair. The dimly lit pub was bustling with activity, filled with the chatter of adventurers and the clink of glasses. I leaned in closer to my table partner, my voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper, "Hey, did you catch wind of the latest rumor?"

The burly man sitting across from me emptied his ale with a hearty swig before slamming it on the table with a loud thud. His face was flushed, and his eyes were glazed, indicating that he was already well on his way to being drunk. "If you're talking about those so-called famous masked swordsmen, I say it's complete hogwash!"

From his rosy cheeks to his unfocused eyes, it didn't require a genius to discern his inebriation.

"No, listen, it could be true! An acquaintance of mine allegedly teamed up with them once. They're often seen traveling with Jasmine Flamesworth, so they stand out," a skinny lad with his hair tightly tied in a bun chimed in, joining our conversation.

The impatient drunkard interjected, his voice slurred, "Well, spill it then! What did your 'acquaintance' have to say about them?"

"Well, they went together to explore a minor dungeon that had been cleared before. Apparently, they're pretty short! I think the rumors are true in that they're not mages," the skinny lad said as he shook his head in disbelief.

"Rubbish! Absolute rubbish! They must be augmenters, or these rumors are merely exaggerated tales! Have you heard some of the outlandish stories circulating about them? There are even whispers that they single-handedly cleared dungeons on their own! Is that even possible? B-class augmenters would struggle with such a feat, let alone two ordinary swordsmen," the burly man waved his empty mug, beckoning for a refill of his beer.

"Yeah, I agree. It's best to take those rumors with a grain of salt. That solo-clear rumor...didn't the guy also mention that Jasmine Flamesworth accompanied him? So, it's likely she provided assistance inside," I took a sip of my beer, feeling a slight buzz creeping in.

"Exactly! I'm telling you, dunderheads, that swordsman can't possibly be that formidable! Half of those rumors are probably attributed to Jasmine Flamesworth herself! And those short-statured pretenders dare to call themselves swordsmen? Bring them here! I'd challenge them any day!" The conversation at our table grew louder as the burly man's intoxication escalated.

The topic of the enigmatic masked swordsmen, Note and Noir, had become the subject of fervent speculation and heated discussions amongst the bustling community of adventurers. Whispers and tales spread like wildfire, intertwining with imagination and exaggeration. Some whispered behind closed doors that the duo were once apprentices of the renowned Jasmine Flamesworth, a fiercely skilled warrior whose reputation had reached legendary status. Yet, the notion of such prestigious tutelage seemed far-fetched, an embellishment woven into the fabric of their mystique.

Despite the skepticism surrounding their origins, one irrefutable fact commanded attention - Note and Noir had risen through the ranks with unprecedented speed, their ascent defying the bounds of expectation. they had successfully passed the rigorous A-rank exam, leaving onlookers and fellow adventurers dumbfounded. The achievement had not come without controversy, fueling whispers of cheating and disbelief. Yet, despite the accusations, one undisputable truth remained - they had now climbed even higher, reaching the esteemed AA-class status in an astonishingly short span of three years. It was a feat that left many awestruck, their voices tinged with envy as they traded tales of the duo's extraordinary exploits.