Chapter 42 - Xyrus Academy

Arthur Leywin POV

"Wake up!" a thunderous shout pierced through the haze of my dreams, jolting me from my slumber. The forceful wave of sound crashed against the walls of my skull, shaking me from within.

Air was abruptly expelled from my lungs as Elijah pounded my sternum, his hands crashing against my chest with the force capable of resuscitating a corpse. Pain shot through my body, electric and sharp, stealing my breath in a gasp.

I jolted awake, my heart pounding and my body struggling to adjust to the sudden intrusion. Disoriented, I blinked rapidly, trying to make sense of my surroundings. "There has got to be a better way to wake me up besides physical pain," I grumbled, rubbing my stomach tenderly, feeling the dull ache.

"You're telling me. Do you know how hard it is to wake you up?" Elijah rolled his eyes, irritation evident in his voice. But a small grin tugged at the corners of his mouth, betraying his true amusement. "Anyways! We're going to be late if you don't hurry up and get ready. I've already washed up so get your butt out of bed." Elijah stood on top of my rumpled sheets, pushing me off with his foot.

"Brother, are you awake?" Ellie's voice rang out, a sweet melody breaking through our morning haze. She opened the door as I was changing, Elijah was at least fully dressed, his figure a stark contrast to my half-clothed state.

"How do you like your big brother's awesome muscles?" I flexed my body in various poses, trying to inject some levity into the morning.

"Eww! All I see are skin and bones, Brother." She just shook her head with playful disbelief, giving me a hard stare that seemed to question whether I was the same brother she so admired back on her birthday. "Unlike brother Ri, you never seem to grow any muscles."

Ellie continued, unperturbed by my momentary melancholy. "Anyway, Mom told you guys to hurry up and get dressed so we can eat." With that, she closed the door behind her, her small figure moving with determination.

A sigh escaped my lips as I started buttoning my shirt, the fabric cool against my skin. Memories of Ellie's birthday party flooded my mind, the image of her laughter and innocence etched into my heart. Kids grow up too fast, I lamented, a bittersweet longing pulsating within me.

The uniforms that Xyrus had sent us weren't too out of the ordinary. For me, it consisted of a white dress shirt, a grey vest, a maroon string we tied around our necks underneath the collar, and a pair of tailored navy dress pants. There was also a gold pocket watch attached to a chain on my vest's breast pocket, overall giving me a very scholarly look.

 There was also a gold pocket watch attached to a chain on my vest's breast pocket, overall giving me a very scholarly look

Elijah's uniform, on the other hand, had a much sharper design. His black blazer had white trimmings that matched his black pants. Instead of a string, he wore a black square-end tie with one white stripe, indicating that he was a level one student. With his white dress shirt underneath and a badge with a crossed sword and staff etched intricately over the breast pocket, he looked dashing.