Chapter 38 - Home

Arthur Leywin POV

As I gradually became aware of my surroundings, a sharp and unbearable pain spread throughout my body, causing tears to involuntarily stream down my face. I felt completely immobilized as I struggled to move, and my attempts to get up were met with resistance from every muscle, pore, and fiber of my body. The pain felt like a scalding blade sawing slowly through me, leaving me feeling weak and helpless.

The pain was soon eclipsed by mounting frustration as I realized I couldn't sustain the power of Realmheart for much longer. Unlike Ri and Sylvia, who effortlessly wielded this ability, I found myself grappling to uphold it for prolonged periods. A deep sigh escaped my lips, laced with the bitterness of my predicament.

And then, a voice broke through the haze of my suffering, calling out to me from beside me. "You're awake!" the voice exclaimed, brimming with relief.

Summoning every ounce of determination, I fought against the overwhelming urge to slip back into unconsciousness, focusing on that voice.

Yet, for a brief moment, there was only silence, an echo of emptiness. Struggling against the agony that threatened to consume me, I managed to produce a few strained sounds.

"G-Glove. My glove," I rasped, my head turning to the side to avoid choking on the thick pool of blood filling my mouth.

"What about your glove?" Elijah's face came into view as he gently removed the glove, a treasured gift from my parents, from my trembling hand.

"B-Break one of the c-crystals on the glove and give... me," I pleaded, the waves of pain intensifying once more, making me fear that I might succumb to darkness before he could follow my feeble instructions.

"Step back a little," Sensing the urgency, Jasmine commanded Elijah to step back slightly, his compliance wordless yet swift. She then approached me, her voice laced with understanding as she asked, "Is this still difficult?"

Unable to respond coherently, I merely nodded, the flicker of hope igniting within me as Jasmine acknowledged the extent of my torment. "I see," she murmured softly.

Jasmine was well acquainted with my beast will, as did the rest of my family and the people close to us, but she was the one who knew most about it, Sylvia and Sylvie aside.

A pleasant surge of soothing light enveloped my body, and the once unbearable pain eased enough so I could calm down a little. I tried to get up but my body, once again, refused to listen. Lying motionless on my back, I assessed the situation now, since my cognitive abilities were no longer completely focused on enduring the pain.

"Thank you," Words of gratitude escaped my lips, and curved them into a faint smile, and my gratitude extended towards Jasmine for this temporary respite amidst the storm.

Taking a look around, I realized that we were in a small, dome-shaped enclosure conjured up by Elijah, The only source of light came from the crackling fire in the center, casting flickering shadows on the walls. It was a cozy, yet mysterious atmosphere that surrounded us.

As I glanced around, my eyes fell upon the slumbering forms of our group. They lay sprawled out on makeshift beds, their breathing steady and calm. It seemed that only Elijah and Jasmine were awake, their faces illuminated by the dancing flames.

Elijah's expression was a mix of surprise and curiosity as he spoke, his voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't think that the legendary masked swordsman, Note, would be someone around my age."

His words struck me like a bolt of lightning, causing me to momentarily freeze. Instinctively, my hand shot up to my face, seeking reassurance that my mask was still securely fastened. Finding the cold, smooth surface of the mask against my fingertips, I let out a sigh of relief. How had Elijah seen my face? My mind raced with questions, searching for answers.