Chapter 56: A Not-So-Great Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

'What genre?'

'Horror.'

'Oh ...' he said, looking nonchalant all of sudden. 'Well, it's getting late. You'd better get to bed.'

'Right.' I said, climbing up the stairs. 'Masoto, you should go to sleep as well.'

'I know, I know,' he grinned, prancing over to his room before slamming the door shut.

I rolled my eyes at his cheerful demameanour and entered my room before flopping onto my bed.

I stared at the ceiling absentmindedly. I felt my cheeks get warm when I replayed the scene with Sasuke just now in my head.

Seriously ... We should be acting like we were friends. But he keeps doing all that stuff. I sighed. Then again, it's partially my fault. I actually enjoy it when he does those things. Of course I would never tell him that.

I was smiling stupidly without thinking when I heard something downstairs being dragged across the floor - causing a screeching noise.

I frowned. Masoto was in his room so that had to be Nii-san. But why would Nii-san create so much noise at night? Was he drunk? But he never gets drunk. And he didn't like to drink either. Then why-?

CRASH

I jumped up from shock, feeling the back of my neck grow hot. What the hell was that?

That was definitely not Nii-san. He would never be so reckless. Was it a burglar? I grabbed the kunai that was conveniently placed on my night stand.

I activated my Murasakigan, walking cautiously towards the door.

I heard footsteps climbing up the stairs and ... Groaning?

'Free me ... Free me ...'

I froze, losing control over my limbs as my kunai landed the floor with a soft clang.

'Free me ...I'm coming for you.' the voice was now on the other side of the door. The voice sounded pained and scratchy.

I took several steps back, finally hitting my back with the wall, feeling the blood drain from my face as my hands went clammy.

I heard weird scraping noises from the other side, like whoever it was was scratching my door.

I pressed my back against the wall, trying to calm myself down.

Words just couldn't describe how terrified I was. My nails digged deep into my palms as I clenched my fists.

'Free me ...'

The door creaked open and I had to stuff my fist into my mouth to prevent myself from screaming out. My hand rested on the window next to me.

The door slammed open.

Without thinking twice, without looking back once, I pushed open the window with all my strength and jumped out.

'GET AWAY FROM ME!' I screamed, falling.

Once I landed on the ground, I landed right in front Nii-san.

I yelled in shock and he recoiled.

'Makoto, what's wrong -?'

'Nii-san!' I yelled, grabbing his hand. 'Th-the-there's a g-g-ghost!'

'What are you talking about?' he said, raising an eyebrow. 'Makoto, did you have a nightmare?'

'It wasn't nightmare!' I said frantically. 'How could I even get a nightmare when I wasn't asleep in the first place?'

He frowned. 'What exactly happened? Where's Masoto?'