Wave of Catastrophe

Lyall the Werewolf: Originally on FanFiction.Net, I am now cross-posting Rise of the Sword and Shield on Wattpad.

So, without further ado, let's get started.

(I don't own Senran Kagura or Shield Hero)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm back!" Asuka announced as she entered the room she and her partner stayed in.

"Welcome back, Asuka!" greeted Rino with a smile.

As soon as Asuka strolled into the room, she collapsed onto the bed while groaning in exhaustion.

"I take it that strategy meeting didn't pan out too well?"

"More like it never got started. Those guys haven't changed. They wasted so much time on nothing. At least I gave Cerberus's remains to Naofumi-kun to use." groaned Asuka.

"I'm not surprised it didn't work out. Motoyasu is as clueless as ever, isn't he?" Rino asked.

"Yeah, he's still with Myne-san, after all. I guess a few jabs to the ribs won't fix Motoyasu-kun's stupidity." Asuka sighed.

"Ahaha! Got that right! I wish I was there to see it!" Rino laughed.

Asuka was aware of Rino's hatred of Motoyasu after what happened at Callma Village. Thankfully, she recovered well after the experience, but it didn't change that Myne and Motoyasu were indirectly responsible for Rino being put in life-threatening danger and she had every right to hate them for it. Asuka could only imagine how many fireworks would go off if she met them now.

"Don't worry, Asuka. I'll keep my temper under control around them." Rino assured. She must have guessed that Asuka was concerned about her.

"I know you will." Asuka smiled, "We have to focus on the Second Wave now. There's no use crying over spilled milk."

"We prepared as much as we could for the Wave. I'm sure it'll be enough."

"Let's hope so..." Asuka sighed, "Anyway, let's go to sleep. We need to save our energy for what's ahead."

"Yeah! Goodnight, Asuka!"

The pair lay down on their respective beds and went to sleep.

Although, Asuka hadn't fallen asleep yet. The former Shinobi was still anxious over the Second Wave of Catastrophe. She wanted some reassurance that she and the other Cardinal Heroes would come to some understanding and work as a unit. But she knew wishful thinking was pointless. The unit was broken ages ago, and the cracks continue to fester even today.

There was only one viable strategy that she could place stock in. Divide and conquer. Motoyasu and Itsuki fight the boss, while Asuka and hopefully Naofumi keep the lesser monsters from hurting civilians. Assuming Naofumi was willing to fight alongside her.

"Well... good luck to us all..." With a final whisper, Asuka closed her eyes and let sleep take over.

Unfortunately, she would have the same dream again. The same that still haunted her. The memory was still vivid in her mind's eye. The deaths of everyone around her. The insidious flames surround her. And the monster that took everything away with its black flames.

Eventually, the death match with Cerberus crept in. She may have come out victorious, but it didn't change how terrifying the monster was.

The specters of her dead friends taunting her after the battle also lingered in her mind. The things they said. The things Myne's spectral form said.