Preparations for the Second Wave Part 2

Lyall the Werewolf: Originally on FanFiction.Net, I am now cross-posting Rise of the Sword and Shield on Wattpad.

So, without further ado, let's get started.

(I don't own Senran Kagura or Shield Hero)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It came as a surprise to everyone that Asuka wanted to discuss the Second Wave of Catastrophe with all four Cardinal Heroes present, most of all, Naofumi.

He assumed he would have been excluded if it were left up to anyone else.

"The Second Wave?" Naofumi asked.

"Yeah. I went around town last night, and even I talked to someone I know in the Adventurer's Guild about Castle-Town's defenses against the Next Wave. Needless to say, I'm not impressed." Asuka shook her in dissatisfaction, "Evelyn-san explained to me that the knights were just now getting ready to mobilize against the Second Wave. That's not good enough. They should have been prepared long before now."

"Oh please! Why do you, who hasn't been with us for weeks, think our knights' preparations aren't good enough?" Myne asked haughtily.

"I believe I asked you to be quiet," Asuka said.

"I don't take orders from you! And who do think you are that you can call a meeting about the Second Wave without permission from the Royal Family?!" Myne bellowed.

"A Cardinal Hero. One of the Three Heroes of your corrupt religion. Someone who has to deal with the Waves of Catastrophe, even though I don't like this country or most of its people. Not that you would be capable of understanding that, Myne-san." Asuka replied emotionlessly.

Sparks started to fly between Asuka and Myne. They were so tense everyone around them could practically see them.

Naofumi knew he hated Myne for what she did to him, but the Shield Hero could sense that Asuka bore more hatred toward her than he did. He wasn't sure if she was trying to keep it under control for the sake of this talk.

"If you really cared about the Waves of Catastrophe, Asuka-san, then you shouldn't have disappeared." Itsuki interjected, "Everyone in the country, including the King, has been worried. Instead of demanding apologies and our cooperation, shouldn't you apologize for causing unnecessary concern?"

"Whoopsie!" Asuka said without the slightest bit of guilt in her voice.

"Whoopsie?! Is that all you got!" Itsuki yelled. This nonchalant attitude made the Bow Hero wonder why she was being so difficult.

"O-Okay, I think we get it, Asuka-chan. Let's not start picking fights with Myne or Itsuki. Even if he does deserve a black eye." Motoyasu said while trying to keep the peace between the two ladies. And Itsuki.

"I'm not the one picking fights, though," said Asuka.

"But in all seriousness, why do you want Naofumi to be here? We don't need him." Motoyasu shot a spiteful look in Naofumi's direction, to the Shield Hero's irritation.

It wasn't lost on Asuka, who immediately dropped the humor.

"Yes, we do." Asuka refuted, "Like it or not, he's a Cardinal Heroes, too. That's why I want us all to sit down and talk about how we're going to deal with the Second Wave."

"So, you want to hold a strategy meeting? I suppose I could devote some of my time to it, but shouldn't we ask King Aultcray first?" Itsuki asked.

"Tch..." Naofumi knew that bastard King wouldn't approve. Raphtalia wondered why they would need the King's permission.