Departure

Lyall the Werewolf: Originally on FanFiction.Net, I am now cross-posting Rise of the Sword and Shield on Wattpad.

So, without further ado, let's continue.

(I don't own Senran Kagura or Shield Hero)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hmm... It would appear that you have an affinity for Earth and Wind-based magic, as well as status recovery magic, Sword Hero-sama." said the magic shop owner as she peered into her crystal ball.

She and Asuka had returned to the former's shop after completing the research project. It wasn't anything urgent. The magic shop owner was studying ancient ruins outside of Castle-Town. She was nearly finished with it, but thanks to the First Wave of Catastrophe, she was forced to put her research on hold due to monsters claiming the area as their territory. That was why the old witch needed a bodyguard to help her clear out the monsters and finish her research.

Asuka was brave enough to accept her job offer and performed better than expected.

The magic shop owner was amazed by the elegant combination of physical strikes with swordplay used by Asuka when she helped the witch clear out the monsters in the ruin. So much so that she decided to give the Sword Hero a free magic appraisal for the latter's affinity, in addition to paying a handsome reward for a job well done.

"So those are the types of magic I can use?" Asuka asked. She was surprised to learn that she could use magic in this world.

"Yes. Anyone in this world can use magic. The Cardinal Heroes are especially gifted with magic. At least according to legend." the kindly old witch explained.

"But, I've never used magic before," Asuka replied. She was always one to use physical means of attack instead of magic.

"That's alright. Once you've studied the particulars and worked hard, magic isn't so difficult." the witch reached down to one of her desk's drawers and took out a book. "Here are grimoires for Earth, Wind, and recovery magic. Be sure to study them carefully," she said as she placed it on the counter.

"Huh? Are you sure I can take these?" asked Asuka.

"Consider them a bonus for the hard work you put in helping me with my research." said the witch, "Although, I would have liked to give you a crystal ball."

"A crystal ball?"

"Didn't you know, Lady Hero? If you use a crystal ball, you can learn one of the magic spells sealed within it." the witch explained, motioning to her crystal ball.

"I didn't know that," Asuka said. Even if she did, she would have rejected using crystal balls to learn spells. That was the easy route in her eyes.

"I heard that royal capital had ordered a bunch of them to give to the Heroes."

"All except for Naofumi-kun, no thanks to that trial. And after what I did after the trial, it wouldn't surprise me if I was left out too." Asuka sighed, regretting her rash behavior a little. She took no pride in threatening Aultcray's life, but if there was one thing she could not stand, it was being treated like she was helpless.

"Yes, I heard. I am so sorry you were dragged into that. I can only imagine what struggles you must have been going through since then." said the witch with sympathy in her eyes, "If my grimoires can help you, even a little bit, I'd be very happy."

Hearing this brought a small smile to Asuka's face, "Thank you. But, there's a slight problem. I can't read this world's language."

"I know. Evelyn told me much about you. If you need help in studying our language, you should talk to her. She's excellent at teaching." the witch suggested.