Ugly Side of Melromarc

Lyall the Werewolf: Originally on FanFiction.Net, I am now cross-posting Rise of the Sword and Shield on Wattpad.

So, without further ado, let's continue.

(I don't own Senran Kagura or Rising of the Shield Hero)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bitter, alone, and numb from the adrenaline rush dying down, with his money, respect, and trust gone, Naofumi made his way through the streets of Castle-Town, and as expected, he was met with scornful looks from the townspeople. There were looks of fear and hate plastered on their faces. He tried to ignore them, but it just irritated him more.

At least one of them had the stones to confront him about what happened.

"Hey, Shield Bro!" called out the baritone voice of the blacksmith and shopkeeper Erhard. The Shield Hero turned to the old guy and realized he was on the street where this old guy's weapons shop was located. The old guy grabbed Naofumi by the collar and dragged him between his shop and another building for a private interrogation.

"I heard what about you did to that poor girl and what was about to go down with the Sword Lass! I oughta punch you in the face!" Erhard growled while rearing his balled-up fist aimed at Naofumi.

"You're against me too?" Naofumi asked, to the old guy's surprise.

The older man got a good look at the Shield Hero, specifically his near-lifeless eyes, which told him that this young man was a victim, not a criminal. Erhard released Naofumi, having calmed down thanks to this realization.

"Weren't you gonna punch me?" asked Naofumi.

"I changed my mind," Erhard answered.

"Good call. You were about to lose your life." Naofumi grumbled, readjusting his shirt, and was about to saunter off alone.

"Wait a sec!" Erhard called. He had Naofumi wait in the alley so he could go into his shop and retrieve a bag full of clothes for the Shield Hero to wear. "You're not gonna get very far dressed like that. Consider it a parting gift." the old guy said as he handed them to the underdressed Shield Hero.

"How much?" asked the suspicious Naofumi.

"Doesn't matter since you're broke. But, let's call it a clearance sale and say, five copper." Erhard answered. With that, Naofumi took the mantle.

"Thanks. I'll pay you back for it one day..." said Naofumi, honestly grateful for something good happening today. Naofumi quickly changed into a light brown vest, black tunic, green pants, brown boots, and a green cape.

After he had a chance to change, Naofumi was about to leave, but Erhard wasn't done just yet.

"By the way, did you thank that Sword Lass for sticking up for ya?" asked Erhard.

Naofumi paused. Something stung in his heart, but he didn't let it show on his face.

"Why do you care?"

"A girl with a heart of gold like that is hard to come by. Especially one that cares a lot about her friends,"

Naofumi didn't respond to that statement. Instead, he walked away in silence and shame. If only he had listened. If only he hadn't acted so happy-go-lucky and dismissed Asuka's concerns about Myne as childish jealousy. He wouldn't be feeling like crap otherwise, and he wouldn't be finding it difficult to trust anyone, let alone a woman at this point. He wasn't sure what he was going to do, but for now, Naofumi needed to focus on getting stronger so he could go home and forget this shitty nightmare ever happened.