Part 5 on the run

A few hour later I peaked my eyes open in silent fear that all of this, my escape, was just a dream. But it wasn't, it was all true and I was finally free. But now I was confronted with a new problem, my identity. I knew that they are still looking for me so I need to hide.

My first mission was climbing down that tall tree and search for the next city. Yesterday I didn't realize how high above the ground I was and I started to get a weird feeling in my stomach, but still better than spending another day at HYDRA. So I took a deep breath and began my way down. Climbing down was the easy part and when I was back in the ground I began to run. I ran for hours non stop until I couldn't feel my legs. And just when I was about to give up I saw a sign right next to a big road.

Luckily for me I didn't have to wait for too long. So as I was slowly walking next to the road a car that came closer to me. At first I thought it was an agents car but it turns out it was an old man driving a big truck. He let down the window and ask me concerned why I was out here alone. I quickly made up a lie in which I was on a campy trip with my family and got lost. He looked at me with sympathy in his eyes and ask me if I needed a ride. I happily agreed and jumped on the passenger seat.

He asked me why we were camping this far from New York, which took me by surprise. New York, I've heard of it and seen a lot of pictures and video footage of it and now I quickly needed an explanation or an excuse. I told him that my father wanted us to try what it was, the easy lifestyle when we had to make everything by hand. Me was amazed and for the remaining time of the drive we stayed silent or he asked me questions.

Two hours later we arrived at a bus stop about a mile away from New York. I jumped out of the truck and was about to wander off trying to find a place to sleep for the night when he stopped me. He asked me where I wanted to got to and if he should drive me there, to the meeting point where I would meet the rest of my family. I told him that we agreed on meeting at the next motel, just in case something like that happens. At this time I got so used to this whole lie construction thing that my mind was starting to believe it. So when he was done picking up stuff from the store that was next to the stopp we went back onto the road.

Thirty minutes later we arrived at the motel. I thanked him for the ride and for the fact that he generously bought me a sandwich so I would have some food. I went to the registration and asked if a room was free for the night. The nice lady at the front desk told me that the room on the first floor and the second door was empty and that I could crash in there for the night. She then looked at me with sympathy and told me that one night will only be $40. I immediately started to tear up, put on my best show and told her that I have gotten lost in the woods and I was robbed by a stranger who was threatening me with a huge knife in his hand. So I begged her to let me stay and surprisingly it worked. The lady was even kind enough to ask me if I got hurt and if she needed to call the cops. I thanked her for her concern but turned the offer down and told her that I will g to the next police station in the morning.

The first thing I did when I closed the door to my room was taking a long shower. In the shower I tried to process everything that happens in the last 24 hours. I was still so overwhelmed and numb that no real tears left my eyes. So when I was done I laid down in this warm and cozy bed. But even though I was exhausted I couldn't sleep the entire night, so I stayed up till the sun rises again starting at the ceiling. Staring at the ceiling I started to think about the lie that I told the poor lady. It was perfect from the start to the beginning. And now my tired mind started to want to believe all of it. I felt so alone and hopeless that I let out all my emotions and allowed myself to cry, but this time for real. In the end I cried the entire night.