The tip of my pen continued to draw absent minded lines and swirls in the margin of my paper, head racing with so many thing at once that I couldn't comprehend a singular thought when my phone buzzed,

"Hey baby."

Speaking- or more like thinking of the devil.

"Hii."

"How are you feeling? Does your back still hurt?"

"It's better. Thanks for checking in on me :)"

For some reason, I felt anxious texting Ellie. It's not like our conversation is stressful in itself, but I feel like I'm lying to her, or at least lying about how I'm feeling even, if my worries are not on the physical level.

"Is Abby there?"

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
Why does she want to know?

"She just went to shower and get food, why?"

"Can I come over? I miss you."

Wow, for someone as tough as her on the outside, she sure is a sap.

"Fine, but cuddling only. Got it?"
I sent the text, cheeks starting to hurt from how hard I was smiling, and it was annoying. She's the reason for all my uncertainties, but is still the only person who can pull this reaction from me even if it's a simple text.

"I'll behave, promise. See you in a few."

———————
"That's how the movie ends? Are you serious?!"
My hands go up before slamming back down on the comforter in total frustration.
Ellie, who was curled under the same comforter, simply laughed because of how predictable my reaction was.

I sighed deeply, shutting the laptop and placed it down beside me, giving me room to turn over and place my head on her chest.

"Ellie, that was the worst ending ever." I grumbled, nuzzling my body further into her side, and wrapping my arm around her torso.
Her hand came down softly across my shoulders, rubbing a hand over my bicep, "I know.... m'sorry I put you through that." She mocked in a comforting manner, turning her head to look at Abby.
"Is it okay that I'm here? She looks very focused."

"Hmm?" I questioned, lifting my head to look where she was looking, and Ellie was right- Abby did look painfully focused. She was sitting up in bed, headphones on, and papers and textbooks littering the bedsheets and dark-framed glasses resting in the nook of her nose bridge, illuminated by the blue screen of her laptop. 

I chuckle, and placed my head back down, "Why? You feeling awkward about last night?"

"Wha-" Ellie scoffed, "No... I just don't want to disturb her."

Right.

"It's fine, Els. This is my room too you know."

Ellie hums in acknowledgment, but doesn't press it further, which I was secretly hoping she would in case it would lead to a proper conversation about last night. And what better time to do that when all three of us are together?

"Hey Els" I said quietly, playing with her fingers that rested on the base of her stomach, "Can I ask you something?"
Ellie continued to rub soothing circles on my arm, her chin resting on the top of my head, "I don't know, can you?"

I sat up, resting my weight on my elbow, and retracted my hand from hers to anxiously fidget with the seems of my sheets, "Why-" I started to speak, but the words quickly got lost in the back of my throat.

"Hey-" Ellie placed her hand on top of mine, and encouraged me to look at her by squeezing gently.
"Talk to me, baby."

I searched her eyes for any chance that this could lead to a fight, but all I could see was what I wanted to see- love.