31. Exam & Death

Around 1:30 am the hall lights were on in MaNan's flat. Nandini was going through the notes as she has NET (National Eligibility Test) and she is hell nervous.

She was busy memorizing the notes when Manik took the book from her hand making her startled. She looked at him with a frown.

"Manik! Let me revise please." She asked for the book but Manik shook his head.

"Nahi, bahut ho gaya Nandini, go to sleep. You need it for the exam. I don't want you to fall sick." She knew he was right and hence got up placing the books aside and went to sleep.

MaNan had visited the hospital and it's already been 2 weeks now. And in order to get into the teaching field Nandini had to answer this NET exam.

The next morning Nandini got up around 8 and got ready as fast as her exam was around 12 o'clock.

"Nandini main nikal raha hun and maine can book kar di hai tumhe vakt se pahucha degi." Manik said in rush holding his bag.

"Lekin Manik... Aapka tiffin?" She asked as he was already leaving for office.

"Aaj canteen se kha lunga." He moved closer towards her and held her face in his palms.

"All the best, don't think much. Jo nahi aata woh chod do, uske piche mat lage rehna you have to cover up 2 papers within 3 hours." He gave a peck on her forehead and smiled brightly.

She hugged him and thanked him. He moved towards his office whereas Nandini decided to make something light for her and get ready to go.

Malhotra House

Sneha was sitting with the family talking whereas the baby was inside their room.

"Sneha, tumhe kuch chaiye toh bata dena main apne kamre mein ja rahi hun." Neonika stood up saying so.

"Nahi maa aap jao main dekh lungi." Neonika nodded and went inside the kitchen to make tea. Where as Sneha moved up to the room to check on the baby.

She smiled looking at her baby sleeping peacefully. Letting her legs take her towards him she settled down folding her legs. She kept staring the smile was leaving the face and frowns took place ok her forehead.

"Beta... Oh mera raja beta." She coed him trying to get his attention but his breathing was stopped. She held him close to make sure he is fine but God had already taken him with him.

"Ma!" She shouted with tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Betu... Aise na kar, mumma se naraz hai... Aakhein khol na beta." She cried and cried, Neonika along with dadi entered her room only to witness her vulnerable state.

"Kya hua? Aisa kyun haal banaya hai?" Neonika asked moving towards her.

"Maa, dekhiye na... Yeh hil bhi nahi raha hai. Iski sansein bhi band hai. Isko kuch hua toh nahi na? Kuch der pehle theek hi tha achanak kya hua?" She cried cried... Neonika being a mother could understand her pain. She took the baby in her hand only to know that the baby had left the world.

"Hum doctor ko bulate hai. Woh dekhte hai kya batate hain." Saying so Neonika called up the doctor and on the way informed Vikram and her husband to reach home.

She even decided to call Manik but was hestitant but she did so.

After sometime

Whole house was in depression. It's been half and hour doctor gave the news that the baby is no more. The reason was pneumonia which was not determined before. Probably the malnutrition within the womb created him weak.

Manik, Vikram, Mr & Mrs. Malhotra were in the corner where as the ladies in house were handling Sneha. Nandini was yet to reach since her exam got over like 1/2 hour ago. And soon she rushed to come home.

"Bas kar Sneha! Jo hona tha woh ho gaya. Ab kuch nahi badal sakta. Woh chala gaya, bhagwan leke gaye use." Dadi said hugging her making her cry bitterly.

All had tears, it was the first baby in the house so it was understable. Soon enough Nandini reached and immediately hugged Sneha, to give closure to her.

Later in the night they did the funeral and came back home. Manik and Nandini stayed back this time knowing the situation and circumstances of the house.