The Headband

The two figures approached the prison.

"Who's there!"

The figures turned around and left.

---

"I think I see a cave below," Katara said as a cloud drifted through the sky.

"Shh!" The cloud dispersed, revealing Sang and the five kids. Sokka scowled at his sister. "Katara, Rina, great job with the cloud camo, but next time, let's be the kind of cloud that knows how to keep its mouth shut."

Toph scoffed. "Yeah, we wouldn't want a bird to hear us chatting up there and turn us in."

"We're in enemy territory! These are enemy birds!"

---

The team ducked inside a cave. "Well, this is how we'll be living until the invasion," Sokka said. "Cave after cave after cave."

Katara sighed. "Sokka, we don't need to become cave people. What we need is some new clothes."

Zuko nodded. "She's right, Sokka. Blending in is better than hiding out."

"Plus," Toph added, "they'll have real food out there. Does anyone want to sit in the dirt and eat cave hoppers?"

"Rina?" Sokka pleaded. "Tell me you have common sense."

"I do," Rina said. "Common sense tells me that hiding out is pointless."

Sokka sighed and turned to Tikaani. "Looks like we're outvoted. Let's get some new clothes."

---

"I'm not sure about this," Rina whispered. "These clothes belong to somebody."

"I call the silk robe!" Katara ran down and pulled the silk robe off the hook.

"But if it's essential to our survival...I call the uniform!"

Thievery ensued.

Rina tied a red headband around her head. She'd chosen it for the same reason she had on the ship, she could wear it upside down and the Fire Nation symbol would become an arrow. She pulled up the hood on her jacket. Her hair had grown enough that it was hard to see the arrow, but she wasn't going to take any chances. Zuko was wearing a hooded cloak too, the shadows obscuring his scar.

"Hm, I should probably wear shoes, but then I wouldn't be able to see as well," Toph mused. She ripped out the soles of her shoes and threw them. "Sorry, shoes! Finally, a stylish shoe for a blind earthbender."

The soles of her shoes slid down Sokka's face, leaving an imprint.

"How do I look?" Katara asked. She was wearing a sleeveless red shirt that cut off just above her stomach, and a matching red skirt.

Zuko shook his head to clear it. "There's a problem."

"Oh, right." Katara touched her necklace. "My mom's necklace. I guess it is pretty obviously Water Tribe, isn't it?"

---

Katara put on a red and gold choker. Toph picked out a new headband. Zuko helped Sokka do his hair in a Fire Nation topknot and slide in the pin.

The team walked up to a butcher's shop and Rina frowned. "We're going to a meat place?"

"Oh come on!" Sokka protested. "Everyone eats meat. Even the meat!" He nodded to where a cow hippo scavenged through a pile of fish.

"If you don't want meat, I can get you some fire flakes," Zuko offered. "Extra spicy."

Rina winced. "Uh, no thanks."