The Siege of the North Part Two

"Stay here, Tikaani," Sokka said. "Guard this place in case Katara comes back."

The four of them, Sokka, Rina, Yue, and Anuri, were on Sang's back, ready for liftoff. Anuri had bandaged Rina's wrists, but warned her that she should take it easy for a little while.

Sang lifted off into the air without anyone even needing to say anything.

"I can't believe I lost her," Rina said, dejected.

"It wasn't your fault," Sokka promised. He looked off into the distance. "Zuko can't have gone far."

---

Katara opened her eyes and found herself in a bamboo swamp. A temple-like structure was in the middle of a small pond, like the Spirit Oasis. She saw the baboon meditating in the structure and knew she was in the Spirit World.

"Ommmm...Ommmm," the baboon chanted.

"Hello?" Katara asked. "I'm sorry to disturb you, but I'm looking for the moon and ocean spirits."

"Go away," the spirit said.

He paused for a minute and then opened his eyes. "You're still here?"

"Yes! I need-"

"OMMM!"

A fleck of blue light flew around Katara like a firefly. "Perhaps that thing will help you. Chase it!"

"Thanks!" She ran after the blue light.

"Finally," the baboon spirit muttered.

Katara chased the light up a tree, and then the branch under her vanished. She screamed and lost her grip on the light. "Hey, come back!" She was about to give chase when the water under her rippled.

"Hello, Katara," said Avatar Aang's reflection in the water.

---

Zuko was both freezing and sweating at the same time as he dragged Katara through the snow. The ground around him began to collapse.

Cracks spread through the ground, which he realized was ice. He ran as fast as he could, the ice spreading farther. Finally, he made it to a small cave.

The snow fell in heavy sheets and the wind whistled around him as he dragged the Avatar into the cave. He wanted to collapse, but he forced himself to pull out the rope he'd brought and tie her hands behind her.

The Avatar didn't respond, her eyes still glowing as white as the snow outside.

---

"The ocean and the moon are ancient spirits," Aang explained. "They crossed over from the spirit world to the mortal world in the very beginning. There is only one spirit I know of who is old enough to remember them."

"Who?" Katara asked.

"The spirit's name is Koh. But he is very dangerous. He is known as the Face Stealer."

Well that sounded lovely.

"When you speak to him, you must be very careful to show no emotion at all," Aang continued. "Not the slightest expression or he will steal your face."

---

The snow got so heavy Sang was forced to land. His four riders looked around, worry etched on their faces.

---

The defenders of Agna Qel'a were few compared to the vast army of the Fire Nation, but they held strong.

A line of tanks advanced through the city. "There's water in them," Nenzahn said as Tikaani emerged from a tank similar to the ones he'd fought in the Northern Air Temple.