Godfather

"Normal Speech"

"Parseltongue"

~

"He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" James could hear Ron say as he was coming around.

"Peaky? What'd you expect, you idiot? He fell over a hundred feet. Why don't we walk you off the Astronomy tower and see what you look like," Blaise said threateningly as James opened his eyes to see Daphne sitting to his right side with Tracy and Blaise standing behind her. Blaise was at the foot of the bed, squaring off against Ron, who was opposite him on the left side, glaring at each other. Also on the left side of James's bed were surprisingly Harry and Hermione, both of whom looked concerned.

"Probably be a major improvement," James groaned as everyone looked at him. Daphne smiled in relief as tears appeared in the corner of her eyes, which she quickly wiped away before anyone could see.

James groaned as he sat up in the hospital bed, supporting his body with his elbows as he looked to see he was in the Hospital Wing.

"How are you feeling?" Tracy asked as James gave her a deadpan stare.

"Oh, spectacular," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm as Blaise gave a small chuckle disguised as a cough, to which Tracy turned and smacked him on the arm. Daphne barely glanced over her shoulder at them before rolling her eyes and looking back at James, concerned.

"You gave us a good scare there, James," Blaise said.

"What happened?" James said, wincing as he held his head.

"Well... you fell off your broom," Ron answered as James gave him a dead stare.

"Really? I didn't know," James said overly sarcastically, making Ron hang his head in shame at even saying anything.

"Why's the idiot here? I meant the match. Who won?" James asked frustratedly, looking at Blaise and Tracy before his eyes settled on Daphne.

Daphne stood up nervously as she brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, "Um... no one blames you, James. The dementors aren't supposed to come inside the grounds," she said as James understood what she meant. Slytherin had lost.

"Of course, no one blames me. Why should they?" James said sarcastically with a grunt of pain as he sat up more.

"Dumbledore was furious. As soon as he saved you, he sent them straight off," Hermione spoke up, getting a side glare from Daphne.

"There's, uh, something else you should know, too, James," Tracy nervously spoke up as she turned around and grabbed a large bundle of something wrapped in Slytherin green cloth from the bed behind her. "When you fell, your broom, it sort of blew into the Whomping Willow and..." Tracy trailed off as she unwrapped the cloth covering to show James his Nimbus 2001 broom in splinters as she held up the splintered part that had the Nimbus 2001 written on it. "...well, it's uh--," she trailed off, looking at him nervously.

James sighed defeatedly at this with a saddened look as he leaned back on the frame behind him, and Tracy placed the cloth with the destroyed broom in his lap.

Grabbing the piece Tracy held earlier, James just stared at its splintered wood and broken pieces before letting it drop from his hand and clatter into the pile of broken pieces in his lap.

"Well... it wasn't mine to begin with. I guess that's something," he said tiredly, gesturing for Tracy to take it as she did so before James looked around.

"What are you three doing here?" James asked, looking at the three Gryffindors around his bed.

"I wanted to say thank you," Harry said as James narrowed his eyes questioningly at him since he didn't remember doing anything for Harry to deserve thanks.