First Day and Flying

James woke up early on his first day of classes and took a hot shower to wake himself up, once he was done he put on his robes which now had the Slytherin colors to show which house he was in. His spiky messy black hair fell, framing his face and making his bright green eyes stand out as they matched perfectly with his robes, he looked like he was born to be in Slytherin. Once he was ready, James headed to the Great Hall where he found it partially full with people who had woken up early like him.

James sat down at the Slytherin table away from everyone else and loaded his plate with sausage and eggs as he drank his orange juice and ate his breakfast in silence and solitude. As he was eating Snape came around the Slytherin table handing out the timetables to the students there and stopped when he got to James.

"Potter, why are you not sitting with the rest of the house?" Snape asked in his usual tone.

"I prefer to be alone Professor," James answered cooly.

"Is that so? Do not disappoint me, Potter." Snape said handing James his timetable before walking off with his cloak billowing behind him.

James watched Snape walk away before looking down at his timetable seeing he had Transfiguration first thing. Quickly finishing up his breakfast, James went back to the common room and picked up the books that he would need for today, and headed to Transfiguration arriving at the same time as everyone else.

When they got inside the classroom a grey tabby cat was sitting on top of the desk with instructions written on the chalkboard to sit down and copy what was on the board. The students did just that as they all sat down and started to quietly copy down what was up on the board.

As they were doing this the door opened loudly and Harry and Ron came running into the classroom before slowing down when they didn't see the professor there as the two yawned having just woken up.

"Whew, we made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?" Ron said to Harry in relief only seeing a cat at the desk.

Their relief was short-lived as the cat jumped off the desk and transformed into Professor McGonagall mid-air amazing everyone in the class as she walks over to the two boys unimpressed by them being late.

"That was bloody brilliant," Ron said amazed with his mouth agape.

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket watch, that way one of you might be on time." McGonagall said.

"We got lost," Harry said looking over to his brother for help as James just sat there with an emotionless expression on his face.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats." She said as the two boys shook their heads and went to their seats. "Copy down what's written on the board. Now that everyone is here we can begin the lesson. Firstly, can anyone tell me what the art of Transfiguration is?" she asked as Hermione raised her hand. "Ms. Granger," McGonagall said pointing to her.

"Transfiguration is magic which changes one object into another," Hermione stated in a know-it-all tone.

"Correct Ms. Granger, 5 points to Gryffindor. Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts. Anyone caught messing around in my class will leave and never come back. That is my first and final warning." she said seriously looking at everyone with a stern look. "Now, today you will be learning how to transfigure a matchstick into a needle," she said waving her wand as a box of matchsticks appeared on every desk. "The incantation is on the board, use the notes you copied from the board to help you, now begin," she said as everyone took out their wands and a matchstick from their boxes.