Hogsmeade Visit

Not a few hours after he'd harvested the Basilisk, James was standing in the courtyard in front of the massive doors with all the other third-year students, facing Professor McGonagall, who stood on the top steps with Mr. Filch next to her, taking their permission forms.

"Are you alright, James?" Daphne asked, looking at James, who had dark circles under his eyes and looked tired.

"Fine, Daphne. Didn't get much sleep last night," James said shortly as he suppressed a yawn and stuck his hands into his jacket. The seasons had begun to change as summer became fall, and things started to get cooler. Hence, James wore a black top coat, which fell to mid-thigh, with his black shirt underneath, jeans, and boots.

Next to him, Daphne was wearing a light green knitted beanie with a tan top coat over her white turtleneck shirt, jeans, a pair of white gloves on her hands, and heeled boots with fur along the top. Her light blond hair fell down the back of her coat; her cheeks were light pink from the cool air.

"Tonight's the first full moon," she whispered to him, glancing around to see if anyone was listening as James nodded.

"Everything's ready. Meet me in the Common Room tonight," James whispered back to her as McGonagall addressed them.

"Now, remember, these visits to Hogsmeade Village are a privilege," McGonagall said as more students came running into the courtyard from behind her as they handed their forms to Filch before getting into the group with everyone else.

"Should your behavior reflect poorly on the school in any way, that privilege shall not be extended again," she finished as Harry came running up to her, and she turned to him.

"No permission form signed, no visiting the village. That's the rule, Potter," McGonagall told him without having to hear what he was about to say, as she'd heard it all before, and began to walk down the steps away from him.

"All those with permission, follow me. Those without, stay put," he told them as everyone followed Filch while Harry tried to talk to McGonagall.

"But Professor, I thought if you signed it, then I could go," Harry told her, holding out his permission form.

"I can't. Only a parent or a guardian can sign. I am neither. James got his signature; to show favoritism and sign yours when James got his signed properly would be inappropriate," McGonagall said, moving past him. Harry looked frustrated as he turned to look into the crowd where James was. He saw his brother smirking at him as he scowled.

"I'm sorry, Potter," McGonagall said, getting his attention again as his frustration lessened slightly when she walked over and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "That's my final word," she said before leaving.

"Forget about it, guys. See you later," Harry said to Ron and Hermione as the two left to join the other students, leaving him alone, standing on the steps in front of the giant doors and the massive swinging pendulum behind them as he watched his friends go.

The students were ushered onto the carriages that typically brought them to the castle from the train. Once in, the carriages took them down to Hogsmeade Village. Daphne, Blaise, Tracy, and James sat in the same carriage. Blaise and Tracy discussed what they should do once they arrived as they sat on the same bench seat together. On the other hand, Daphne and James sat on the bench seat opposite them in comfortable silence as Daphne wrapped her arms around James's left arm and rested her head on his shoulder as they went. Neither of them said a word and just sat there enjoying the presence of the other as they listened to Tracy and Blaise occasionally offering their opinion.

Upon arriving in Hogsmeade, Tracy exited their carriage, practically bursting with excitement as Blaise followed her. He was not as excited as Tracy, remaining dignified as usual but still excited about their visit.