Return to Hogwarts

After breakfast, everyone put on their cloaks; the kids had black cloaks which bore the symbol of their Hogwarts house. James had his black Slytherin cloak on over his grey long-sleeve, black jeans, and black boots.

Once the family was gathered in the living room, Mrs. Weasley picked up a pot of the mantel in front of the fireplace.

"You first, Harry dear," Mrs. Weasley says kindly, offering Harry the flowerpot which contains some powder.

"But Harry's never traveled by Floo powder before, Mum," Ron says.

"Floo Powder?" Harry asks in confusion. James already knew what this was, having read up on Floo powder before.

"Oh, well, you go first, Ron. So that Harry can see how it's done." Mrs. Weasley says as Ron nods and walks into the fireplace. "Yes. In you go. That's it," Mrs. Weasley comments as Ron takes a handful of Floo powder and everyone back away.

"Diagon Alley!" Ron yells, throwing down the Floo powder as he goes up in green flames and disappears. Having seen this for the first time, Harry and James were quite shocked by it.

"You see? It's quite easy, dear. Don't be afraid. Come on. Come on. In you go. That's it. Mind your head. That's right." Mrs. Weasley says, ushering Harry into the fireplace before holding out the pot to him. "Now, take your Floo powder. That's it, very good. Now, don't forget to speak very, very clearly," she says, backing away after Harry took a handful of Floo powder.

"Diagonally," Harry says, throwing down the Floo powder as he erupted into green flames and disappeared.

"What did he say, dear?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"Diagonally," James comments as he shakes his head in disappointment.

"I thought he did," Mrs. Weasley says, groaning. "Your turn now, James," she said, ushering James into the fireplace as he took a handful of Floo powder.

"Diagon Alley," James said clearly as he threw down the Floo powder and felt himself get transported; the next thing he knew, he was in a fireplace in Diagon Alley with Ron standing in front of him.

"Where's, Harry?" Ron asked, confused.

"Instead of saying Diagon Alley, he said Diagonally, meaning he probably came out somewhere else," James said as he pulled out his wand and cast a charm taking all the soot off him. Fred then comes through, followed by George, Percy, Molly, Ginny, and Arthur. Once they were gathered together, they went to Flourish and Blotts, where they found Hermione and her parents there, and several other witches gathered inside the shop.

"Hello, Hermione," James said to her, smirking as she looked up at him in surprise and blushed.

"James, it's good to see you... You've gotten taller," she mentions, not knowing what to say, and it was true James had gotten taller. James was an entire head above Hermione and stood 2 inches above Harry.

"So have you, and prettier," James commented, making Hermione blush as she looked down embarrassed.

"I-I'm going to go look for Harry." Hermione stuttered as she smiled at James before leaving the shop as James smirked, watching her leave, knowing the effect he had on her. 

Once she was gone, James walked through the shelves looking for new books; he found a few defense books which were grey in most wizarding standards, a book on useful charms, and a book on enchanting. After he'd found his desired books, he went back to the main area only to see his brother taking photos for the Daily Prophet with a famous author who gave Harry his entire collected works. James scowled at this; it seemed his brother couldn't go anywhere without someone wanting to take his picture or give him free stuff.