•Chapter 58• Apologize

"I just left them there." Megan's tears keep rolling down her cheeks as she sobs uncontrollably. Jack kneels in front of her and wipes her tears away with the sleeve of his jumper. "Hey, hey, it's okay. It's alright. The police are with them." Jack tries to assure her, but it isn't very promising. Jayden sat beside her with a protective arm wrapped around her. Jerry stood a foot away from them. "Do you think they caught him?"
"They saw us for certain. They almost caught us." Jayden responds. Megan sniffs quietly beside him. Jack raises his hand again and gently wipes her cheeks dry. "Your dad can go back to the hospital. They'll both be safe." Jack says to her. Jayden looks up at his youngest brother. Jerry was holding the phone Louis gave him in his hands. "Andrew? Liz? Henry?" Jayden asks. "Not responding," Jerry focuses his eyes on the girl sitting with them in the room. Megan looks more traumatized than ever before. They could have been shot. They could have died. What if Bill shot her parents anyway? Everything went so incredibly fast. Jayden runs his hand up and down Megan's back soothingly. "You're safe." Megan turns her head slightly to look at him with her bloodshot eyes. They must be hurting so badly. "I don't feel safe," Megan replies, "I don't ever feel safe. Why does everyone always want to kill around here?" Megan's tears roll from her eyes again. She raises her hands to rub her eyes very harshly, turning her skin red and irritated, but Jack stops her. "Don't do that. It'll only worsen if you rub that harshly." Jack says to her softly. 

Jerry sighs and scratches his temple as he looks around the room they are in. "You think Jade knew about this place?"
"I think I overheard her and Loverboy talk about staying here before. Louis mentioned her calling off the search so she could stay here with him," Jayden recalls from eavesdropping earlier. "I'm gonna kill him." Jerry's breath hitched as soon as the words clicked in his head. "Sorry, Meg. Poor choice of words."
"It's fine." Jack looks at her with a sympathetic smile and wipes her tears away again. "You don't think – I mean they wouldn't– she wouldn't, right?" Jerry looked at his brother and shrugged. "I don't know. I don't want to know. It's not going to end well for him if he did." He replies. Jack looks at his brothers. "We can't control anything she does, though."
"Boys," Louis enters the room without even knocking. Megan looks up first with her bloodshot eyes. "The cars are here. The girl's with me. Let's go." The triplets weren't too happy to hear that. "Shouldn't we stick together?" Jerry asks his uncle. "You three are. Better to keep her separate from you. She's safer with me. We're taking different routes." Louis explains. Jack locks his fingers with Megan's. "Is Jade gonna be with her too? I would feel a lot safer if Meg had someone else with her." Jack replied. "Jade's staying here. Casper and Jade are coming tomorrow. Megan is with me, she's safe. Come along. Ian told me the police is following two of our guys. We need to move."

That night, Casper walks to his bedroom where Jade would be. She's been there all day, now. She told Casper to leave her alone, but they needed to talk. Casper knocks gently on the doorpost. "Yeah?" Very carefully, he pushed open the door to immediately meet her gaze. "Oh," she spoke quietly. He gives her a little smile. "I thought you were Louis." He nodded slightly. "He left a while ago – uh is this okay?" Casper asks her, feeling a little scared of her response. "Yes, this is okay." He steps further into the room and shuts the door behind him. For a minute he stands there and looks at her. She shuts the book in her lap and nervously bites the inside of her cheek. "I'm sorry I hit you." He smiles warmly at her and walks over to the bed. He awkwardly sits down on the edge of the bed near the end to keep a distance between them. "Kinda deserved it. I deserved a lot more than just a slap across the cheek." He says as he looks up at her. "I'm not going to slap you again if that's what you're getting at," Jade replies. Casper shakes his head slightly. "I just wanted to talk. Louis said we are staying a little longer. Just wanted to make sure we're okay. As far as that's possible, that is." Jade scoots a little closer to the young man. "I'm sorry about what I did. You have every reason to no longer trust me. I'm mad at myself. Your uncle told me not to say anything." Jade nodded slightly. "Louis and I talked." She looks up at him, "Doesn't take away the lies, though." That is fair, Casper thinks to himself. "Everyone needed to believe it. Including you. If Louis – I wanted to tell you. I never wanted to scare you like that." Casper says. "I'm just having trouble trusting you. You lied to me again." This time Jade sounded very calm and collected. 

Casper nods a little feeling very guilty for hurting her feelings like this. "I feel terrible." Jade gets a little closer to him. "It was a good plan, though." She praised him. Honestly, she wouldn't have done it, but Bill fell for it. "It'll take some time," Jade said to him. Casper's eyes light up slightly. "So, you don't completely hate me?" Jade shakes her head. "Doesn't mean I'm not still mad at you. You could've gotten us all killed." Casper nodded whilst scratching the back of his head. "I'm pretty sure he's going to kill all of us after this." Jade agrees with him. "You know, now's the time to tell me if you lied about anything else." She tells him. "How many lies do you think I told you?" Casper questions. "Well, I wouldn't know. Maybe you lied about everything." He looks at her. "Aside from this, and the other thing, I've always been honest with you," Casper promises her. Now it was his turn to get closer to her. He didn't want to at first, he was scared to make a wrong move, but she let him to his surprise. "I told you about my mom. I never talk about her with anyone. And the whole... you know the uh– the other things I said." Suddenly he was feeling very nervous about saying the words. He didn't have any issues before. Jade closes the gap between them and rests her chin on his shoulder. "You better not have lied about that. I won't kiss your boo-boos away anymore if you did." Jade tells him with a little sarcasm. Casper smiles at her, presses a kiss to the tip of her nose, and combs his hand through Jade's hair. That beautiful strawberry blonde hair. "I actually have a boo-boo, though," Casper tells her very quietly. Jade leans forward and turns his head to kiss his cheek where she hit him before. "Thank you." He spoke with that boyish grin on his lips. Jade slips off the bed. "I'm kind of hungry." Casper stands up after her and follows her out of the room. "I'll make us something."
"I'm keeping an eye on you, Cas." She tells him sternly, "Not leaving your side." Casper had to force himself not to smirk. "Don't see how that is a threat."