•Chapter 26• I'll Tell You My Sins

"Sir," Casper started again. Bill groaned a little under his breath. He couldn't bare to hear another word from that boy's mouth. "She's gone, sir," Casper tells him. "Of course, she's gone, boy. You didn't have to come back to tell me that." Bill tells him. He sounded frustrated. Louis stood by the window, looking outside. Casper could see his killing gaze staring straight at him in the window's reflection. "N-no Sir, I mean she's gone. I don't know where she is." Casper said. Louis' head snapped up. His eyes filled with anxiety. And yet, Bill remained very calm. "I didn't take her home. We stopped somewhere to crash overnight. When I woke up she was gone." Casper explained. He didn't include the small details where Ian was now involved in this as well. Louis looked at Bill. "She's going back to Chesterfield." He said. "No, she's not," Bill said calmly.

"I have no idea what you want from me. I want to go home." Jade states. Hayden tilted his head slightly. He narrowed his eyes at her. "If you answered our questions, you'd be home already," Hayden tells her. "Well, that depends on her answer," Lucas mumbled. He earned a glare from his partner. He quickly turned back to the girl sitting at the table. "Why were you at the house?" He asks. She shrugs in response. "We're going to need some words, sweetheart," Hayden tells her, almost threateningly. "I thought I had the right to remain silent," Jade replied. "We've got all day, sweetie," Lucas says. Jade looks at him. "If you want to go home, you gotta speak up." He continued. Jade hesitated for a moment. "It's my house." She answered. "It's not," Lucas replied. "It is. My dad's dead, so the house now belongs to my uncle." She answered. "So it's your uncle's house." Hayden filled in. "In a way. But I live in that house." She says. "When your brothers got arrested, you weren't there. And you haven't been in the house for months. And now, when your brothers have broken out of prison, you suddenly move back in." Hayden continued. Jade pretended to be shocked, which deep down she still was. "They're out?" She asks. "You're not fooling us, Jade," Hayden tells her sternly. "I didn't know. Have you found them yet?" She questioned, pretending to sound worried. 

Lucas eyes her up and down. "You didn't know they broke out?" He asks. She shakes her head. "So they're not in the house with you? Because we got a call that they were spotted there a few days ago." Hayden explained. "They were at the house?" Jade asks. She had become good at lying about things like this. Keeping the poker face up. Casper taught her a few tricks. That boy has never been caught for anything in his life. "Where were you?" Lucas asks her. Jade looks at the man. "My uncle and I have been traveling a lot. Mostly to keep my mind off everything that happened here." She lied. "You were traveling with your uncle. For a few months." Hayden repeated out loud. She nodded. "But he's not your biological uncle. Because neither of your parents had any siblings." Lucas pointed out. His eyes trailed over the words on the paper he held. Jade shrugged. "He's my godfather, I believe. My parents never let me read the official papers. Probably because I never asked for them. He's always been an uncle to me." She explained with a slightly sarcastic undertone. The two men quickly picked up her sarcasm. "If you're trying to be funny, this is not the time for that," Hayden tells her. Jade leaned back in her chair. "I'm not the funny one in my family. Surely you'd know that. Since I'm here because of my brothers." She added. 

She appeared so calm. As if she was having a normal conversation with a teacher. The two men exchanged a glance. "Where is your 'uncle' now?"Lucas asks her. Hayden turned his head back to her. "I actually don't know. He told me he was meeting with someone outside of town." She explained. Technically it was all true. "Do you know who he's meeting? Or when he's coming back?" Hayden questioned. She shook her head. "I'm not in charge." She chuckled, "He lives his own life. Makes his own decisions. Grown men do that." She added. She knew she was getting under their skin. Even if it was just a little. "Don't be a smart-ass, sweetheart," Hayden said sternly. "That's all I know, officer." She replied. "You know more than that." Lucas cut in. They looked at him. "If you're trying to pressure me, thinking you'll make me nervous so I'll blurt out things," She shook her head, "It's not gonna work. This is all I know. But thank you, for kidnapping me. I'm sure my uncle would just love to hear that." She continued. "You act tough. But we can see through that." Lucas tells her. He stood up from his chair and stood beside his partner. Jade looked up at him unimpressed. "See through what, exactly, officer?" She questioned. "You wanted your brothers gone, right?" Lucas blurted out. Hayden glared at him. "You made that call," Lucas added. "That's enough," Hayden muttered to him. "Even if I did, what would that be to you?" Jade questioned. "It means you were there." Lucas snapped at her. "And what if I was?" She replied, raising her voice a little. "That means you're either guilty yourself, or you can help us put them away for life. That's what you want, right? That's why you called the police that night." Lucas filled in. Jade kept a straight face while freaking out on the inside. "To put them away for life, you'll have to catch them first." She replied. Lucas turned to his partner. Oh, boy, does she know how to get under someone's skin. Hayden shook his head. Lucas stormed out of the room. Jade gave Hayden a sweet smile. 

"How do you even know that?" Louis questions. "I know my daughter. She's going home." Bill replied. "Why would she go without Casper?" Louis pointed at the boy. "Because she doesn't trust him anymore," Bill responded with a shrug. Casper glanced down at his feet. He still felt bad for lying to her. But she left without saying anything. Even after he messaged Ian to help. They just left him. No one said a word after that. Louis looked at both of them. "So, what, we're not going after her? Weren't you the one who wanted her to be safe?" Louis asks his friend. "That's why I told him to go with her." Bill answers. "She slipped through my fingers. She's sneaky." Casper said, "You're making it seem like it's my fault." He mumbled. "Because it is your fault!" Louis snapped at him. He looked at Bill again. "You're not leaving," Bill tells him sternly. "What are you gonna do? Are you gonna kill me too?" Louis snapped at him. "You're a child." Bill sighed as he rolled his eyes. "And you're insane. We've already been through this. I'm going to find her. She's not well, Bill. She's scared and confused." Louis tells him, "Last time that happened, she started pointing guns at people. She almost killed her brothers. I'm not letting that happen again." He continued. "She put them in their place," Bill replied. "She almost killed them!" Louis barked.

He looks at Casper. "You get a choice because I know how much she cares about you. Are you coming or am I going to shoot you so won't betray us again?" He asks the boy. Casper gulped. "I'm coming. She took my gun." He muttered that last part. Louis turned to Bill. "You're soft, Fox." He says. Louis shook his head. "No, I care about the little one. Like you should've done. I'm going to make sure she doesn't end up in prison." He snapped at him. Bill watched as they walked away. "She's not your daughter." He reminds him like he did so many times already. He picked up Louis' gun from the table. He pointed it at them. Louis heard Bill pull the safety off his weapon. They stopped their pace. "I'm not letting you leave. We need a plan. Greenwood is our priority, now. Not Jade." He says, "I need you, Fox." He added. The two turned around to look at him. "I'm not helping you anymore, Bill," Louis tells him. Bill pointed his gun at Casper. "How about now?" He questioned. "You're not gonna shoot the kid," Louis replied. "I won't if you'll stay," Bill said. "You're not gonna shoot him," Louis repeated. Bill focused on Casper. He pulled the trigger. Louis snapped his head toward the boy. The bullet went into the wall, missing Casper by an inch. "That was a warning shot." He said. "And your last," Louis replied. When Bill tried to fire again, nothing happened. The two ran away as fast as they could. "Fine! I don't need you, Fox! I'll do it by myself again! And I'm going to kill that kid!" Bill yelled after them.