•Chapter 27• You Can Sharpen Your Knife

Jerry let his head fall back and exclaimed a groan. "They know we're here." He said. His older brother looked at him. "They wouldn't have come here and knocked on the fricking door if they didn't." He added. Jayden looked at Andrew. "And you let her open the door." He stated. "We thought it was someone we know." Ian cut in. "Someone, you know? What-who?" Jayden asks. "His name is Casper. He was supposed to come with us. We left him at the hotel, expecting to be back within a few hours." Ian explained. "Why didn't you take him with you in the first place?" Jerry asks. "Well, I didn't completely trust him. In case you guys were here. I didn't want to risk anything." Ian tells them, "Plus, Jade said he looked cute and peaceful while sleeping. She didn't want to wake him up." He added. Andrew stepped forward. He chuckled a little. "She said he was cute?" He questioned. He earned a glance from the others. "What? I don't want her hanging out with the wrong guys. He lied to her, remember?" Andrew added, trying to play it cool. "Anyway," Jayden started. "They'll let her go in a few hours," Ian assured him. "As long as she doesn't say anything," Jayden replied. Ian leaned against the wall. "She won't tell on you if that is what you're worried about. She lies better than I do. Casper taught her all the tips and tricks. She'll be fine." Ian assured the eldest triplet. 

"We've got Jack to focus on, anyway. And Eric." Jerry tells his brother. Jayden looks at him. "He is going to kill someone." Jerry points out. "Still feeling comfortable about sending your girlfriend in there?" Jayden teased him. His younger brother glared at him. "Besides, if the cops show up here again, we need another place to stay." He reminds him. "So, what, we'll drag Eric there too? Because I've always wanted another roommate. Especially someone who's as insane as Dad." Jerry spoke sarcastically. "We can't let him slide. He tried to kill us a few days ago." Jayden pointed out. Jerry shakes his head silently in disagreement. His brother opened his mouth again. "Bro, do you have an alternative? Killing him? I thought we were clear on that. We're not killing anyone." Jayden rambled. Jerry pointed his finger in the other direction. His brother rolled his eyes at him before he said a word. "Dude, I am not taking him." He added, "People are going to start looking for him." He continued. "I'm surprised no one has started looking for him yet." Ian cut in. The two boys looked at him. "Do you think that's why the police showed up?" Jayden questioned. "Selena." Jerry filled in. "She could've called the cops. He's been gone for days without a message or a call. She must've known he went here." Ian continued. Jayden let out an exhausted sigh. "We need to leave." He says. He turned to walk upstairs. His brother looked at him. "Are you gonna tie the maniac into the backseat?" He called after him. "Might have to!" Jayden replied. Ian runs his hand through his hair. All this chaos tired him out. 

"Jack?" Megan said quietly. He paced around his room. He trashed his room. Books and comics are scattered on the floor. His bedsheets were also on the floor. There was a hole in the wall created by his fist. His knuckles were bloody, veins showing through his skin. His hands were in his hair. He groaned as if he was a wild animal. Megan looked at Liz. She stood by the door, ready to run off if Jack lost it. She was scared of him. He was breathing heavily. His chest felt like fire. His mind wouldn't stay quiet. He could barely handle it all, his thoughts running through his brain. "Jack, you need to -" Megan started. "Shut up!" He yelled at her. Both girls flinched at the volume he carried with his voice. Liz grasped the door handle behind her tightly. "Just shut up!" Jack repeated. He seemed so lost. Adrenaline pumped through his entire body. His eyes hurt. He was squeezing them shut so tightly. Letting no tears escape, not showing any emotions. Nothing. His lip was trembling for anyone to see. Both girls could see, and also feel, how heartbroken he was. "I shouldn't shout." He mumbled under his breath. Megan took a step closer to him. "Jack, you have to calm down." She tells him quietly. Honestly, she was frightened too. What if saying this, trying to ease his emotions, only made things worse? "He killed my mom," Jack tells her. He slowly turned to her, finally opening his eyes. "He's the reason she's dead." He sobbed. Megan took another step toward the boy. "You're okay." She assured him.

But he started shaking his head violently. Megan raised her hands and put them on either side of his head. This is when the tears finally came out. He couldn't hold them in any longer. "He took her from me. She loved me." He sobbed. Megan pulled him into her arms. He sobbed into her shoulder. "I want my mom." He cried. Tears started to form in Megan's eyes as well. His words were like a knife stabbing into her heart. The Salvini kids grew up without a mother for most of their lives. Everyone always called them out for being orphans, even if their father was still alive. Maybe they had always felt like that. Megan was very aware she didn't know everything. Over time, the triplets revealed more about their past and family but barely showed emotions like this. Even when they chatted about their mother, they appeared calm. Calmer than this. Jack had been caught in outrage and could only be followed by tears. She could feel his heart shattering in front of her. A harsh knock sounded on the other side of the door. Liz quickly made her way to the other side. She stood face to face with the eldest triplet. "What's happening in there? Did he cool off yet?" Jayden asked. "You could say that. He's crying." She answered. "I'll give him something to cry about. He almost ripped himself apart." Jayden chuckled. Liz gave him a sad look. He caught on and let out a sigh. "She's with him, right?" He questioned. She nodded slowly in response. "Good." He said. He noticed her slightly relieved expression. "Did he scare you?" He asked her. "You three always scare me in a way. But this was very different. I thought he was going to hurt someone." She sighed. He nodded. "Yeah," He started, "And you still went in." He added. Liz shrugged slightly. "Didn't know you'd be so brave, Martin." He tells her with a cheeky grin. "I do my best." She returned the smile.

"So, are you going to let me go now?" Jade asked the men as they stepped into the room again. "Not yet," Hayden answered, "We need you to answer a few more questions." He added. She shot him an angry glare. Lucas dropped some paperwork in front of her. Jade looked at it before she leaned back in her chair. "Am I supposed to do your homework or something?" Jade questions them. "It's your family's file," Hayden tells her calmly. She crossed her arms over her chest. "Did you make a game out of it? Link the murders? Find hidden key points in your case?" She replied in a sarcastic tone. She looked at Lucas, who remained quiet. She nudged her head at him. "Lost your tongue?" She asked him. "You irritate me." He tells her. "Well, if I bother you so much, why don't you get rid of me." She suggested. "Sadly, I'm not allowed to shoot a suspect." He snapped at her. "Or you could let me go home." She replied calmly. He shook his head. "Not happening, sweetheart." He said. He leaned on the table again, trying to look intimidating. "You realize that if you keep going down this road, you're gonna end up just like the rest of your family." He tells her. Jade shrugged. "I'm not all that ashamed of the name if I'm honest." She admitted. "I don't think you quite get it yet. It's not about the name. It's about what they do." He said. Jade picked up the papers and started flipping through them.

"Your father? A murderer. Your brothers? Murderers." He summed up. "You were holding my brothers without any actual evidence. Put them in prison. And you have nothing on my dad. If you did, you would've put him away years ago." She replied. "And your mother -" He continued. "Don't bring my mother into this." She barked at him. "Oh, yeah, I forgot. That must be hard for you. You're being compared to your mother all your life. Your dead mother." Lucas tells her. Jade jumps up from her chair. She slams her hands on the table. "Don't talk about her! You can't talk about her!" She shouted. Her heart thumped in her chest. It was almost painful. She suddenly felt her eyes become heavier. Before she knew it, the world turned black and her knees became numb. She collapses right then and there. The only thing she felt were two pairs of hands shaking her gently.