•Chapter 49• Grateful

"They're starting to wonder where we've gone off to," Casper tells her as his eyes trailed over the text again. Jade stopped at the stairs to look at him briefly. "Tell them we're still investigating." Casper shakes his head. "I've already done that. They're worried about you." That wasn't a surprise. Everyone knew about what Casper had done and was shocked that Jade didn't shoot him in cold blood for betraying her. He made a mistake. Everyone does. But now, the Pack was getting suspicious of the situation. She was so determined and, suddenly, she called off the search. Not only that, but she disappears along with a man who almost sold her out to her psychotic father. She sighed and walked back over to him to grasp his phone from his hands. "What are you -" Before he could finish she held the phone to her ear and started walking up the stairs like she was doing before. "It's Jade." He heard her say into the phone. He could hear her faint voice up the stairs as she tried to soothe the men through the phone. They wanted to protect her with all they had. "No, we're fine, I don't need you to come and get me. No. No! Will you listen to me?" She started to raise her voice slightly. "I am perfectly safe, George. I wanted to go by myself but Casper offered to- Yes, that is what happened. This is the fifth time I am telling you this!" She complained as the man on the other line cut her off. There was a lot of going back and forth upstairs and Jade sounded to get more angry every second. He could hear her growl upstairs and hang up the phone. "I'm going to take a shower!" She called out.

Casper lifted his head and furrowed his eyebrows at the tone. "Are you okay?" He asked, only to get a slight groan in return. "I'm fine!" He heard the bathroom door shut a little bit harder than she, probably, intended. Within seconds he heard the shower turn on upstairs. And he couldn't help but feel guilty. He listened to the water pouring from the shower. It was somewhat comforting. He focused back on the screen of his laptop and drifted off a little while listening to the water pouring upstairs. There had to be something he could do to help her, right? Anything. Suddenly, he heard a loud thud upstairs."Jade?" His head snapped up at the sound. She didn't respond so he called out to her again, but not a sound came out of the room. He got up from his seat and hurried up the stairs but halted by the door of the bathroom. "Boss? Hey, open up." He tapped his hands against the door. He wasn't going to burst in there without her consent. He could feel himself getting more nervous, both that she didn't respond, and that she was supposed to be in the shower which was still going. "Boss, I'm not gonna open the door if you're not going to respond." He tells her. Still, no sounds came from the other side of the door. He started slamming the door a little harder this time. "Jade, open the door." The shower was still running. What if she fell on her head? George probably yelled at her and it became too much for her.

He gripped the door handle but hesitated. "Okay, I- I'm gonna come in, okay?" He let out a sigh and pushed open the door. She was on the floor, blood dripping from her nose and her ear. "Shit, shit, shit," He cursed out loud. He grabbed the towel and picked her limp body off the floor. He tried not to look at her the best he could as he wrapped her up in the towel. He turned off the shower and sat against the wall with Jade in his arms. He cupped her face in his hand. "Hey, hey, wake up. Boss, you gotta wake up, okay? Shit." Her body was limp beneath him. "Don't die on me. Jade? Jade." He brushed her wet hair from her face. Wiping the blood from under her nose and ear, he felt his eyes starting to water. "Please wake up." He pleaded. She shifted a little as he cradled her in his arms, a soft groan escaping her lips. As tears stung in his eyes, a fainted smile appeared on his lips, as she opened her eyes. "You're not dead." He cheered quietly. Jade carefully sat up in his lap. She could feel his hand holding onto the towel around her body as tightly as possible. More blood trailed down her face making her a little dizzy. Casper wrapped his free arm around her fragile, still-limb body and let her rest against him. "They were mad." She muttered very quietly. "That's why we agreed not to call them, remember?" Casper said softly as if he was talking to a child. She clung to him even though there wasn't much strength in her body for some reason. "You're okay. You're okay." Casper whispers against her. She nodded her head slightly as she felt his fingers wipe away some more blood that trailed from her ear.