“Taz. Taz Barkier,” he answered proudly.

Strange name. Apparently Adriana thought so too, because she opened her mouth to say something, until I knocked on the surface. Taz smiled. “So, I hear you guys are on some sort of journey to the rebellion.” I nodded a confirmation. “That’s pretty cool. You just dropping her off or are you staying or what?” he asked and I shrugged.

“I’m not sure. Probably just dropping her off,” I answered shortly.

Taz opened his mouth to ask another question, but just then a woman with a ridiculously long gown and her hair all done up in some fancy bun whirled around the corner, her earrings so long that they nearly whacked her in the face. “Taz Barkier!” she shrieked and Taz sighed, putting his donut down.

This must be the wife. She had on way too much makeup, so that her whole face was nearly white and she had two splashes of red for cheeks. “Yes, Mother?” he asked her with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

“What are you doing in the kitchen? I told you that you are not allowed in here until tomorrow! What is that you’re eating?” she demanded, but didn’t give him a chance to answer, because she had launched into another rant. Thank the lord my mom wasn’t like this. “Where is Kyran? I specifically instructed him to keep you out of the kitchen!”

I nudged Taz while his mother continued and he raised his eyebrows, a sign that he was listening. “Who’s Kyran?” I asked softly and he smirked.

“My personal servant.”

Wow. How rich did you have to be in order for your kid to have his own servant? Mrs. Barkier whirled on Taz, shoving a fan in his face. “Well? Where is Kyran?”

Taz looked like he was ready to burst into laughter. “I instructed him to go outside and catch rabbits.” I know I burst into laughter and it sounded like Adriana did too.

Mrs. Barkier’s mouth opened and closed soundlessly. “Why would you do such a thing?” she asked him, her mouth still open slightly.

Taz smiled broadly. “I wanted a pet rabbit, Mother. Plus, I also wanted food, and I knew he wouldn’t let me in here unless he wasn’t with me. So I instructed him to go and catch me some rabbits,” he laughed, unable to help but keep it inside.  

As if on cue, the door to the kitchen opened and a boy walked in. He still looked my age but looked greatly annoyed. He had long snow white hair and icy brown eyes, along with skin that was extraordinarily pale. He was dressed all in white. It looked like someone had taken a brush and washed all the color out of him. I knew that this had to be Kyran, because his arms were full of about four rabbits. The sight made me laugh again. “Ah. Kyran. Perfect timing,” Taz chortled, eyeing his mom.

Kyran said nothing, just glowered and stared straight ahead. “Kyran, dear, put the rabbits back in the garden,” Mrs. Barkier sighed, fanning herself.

Kyran walked over to me, scanned me up and down, nodded, then walked over to the window and opened it with his foot, proceeding to dump all the rabbits back outside. I didn’t like his eyes. They kind of freaked me out. Mrs. Barkier curled up her fan and whacked Taz over the head with it. “How dare you take advantage of him like that?” she yelled, thumping him repeatedly. I was laughing so hard I was almost in tears now. Taz covered his face with his arms and made a sort of half-strangled yell of protest.

I slyly glanced over at Kyran, who had a small evil smirk on his face. When Mrs. Barkier was done, she swooped over to Kyran and hugged him tightly. “I’m so sorry that my horrible son made you catch rabbits.”

Kyran gave Taz a smug look and Taz gritted his teeth. “I’m assuming you don’t like each other,” I murmured to Taz, wiping away my tears.

“Nah, it’s not like I don’t like him, he’s just… Kyran. You’ll see,” he declared as Mrs. Barkier finished squeezing Kyran and folded her fan back up.