Chapter 27: Depressing Town

One week since we got out on the forest we decide to go towards the town that Dhilia suggested, the town is situated in the far west of the forest near the border of the first wall of the Kingdom of Granam.

When we finally arrive, it's not exaggerating but the town is quit depressing to look at, there is a wall but you cannot see a soldiers or guard station in the gate, there is a few people you can see inside the town but you can count them with your fingers. When we enter the town the people saw us and thought we were merchant and wanted to trade us not with currency but some of their wheat and some of a yellowish substance with a distinct odor, I'm amaze that somehow they have something like this. So I trade with them with the meat that we manage to get while going in this town not only that but I also get some information for the trade they made.

"This town is govern by Madam Orchidia, she is a kind and wonderful lord, she will help the citizen that she govern her, she even share some of the money she have if it needed and will not hesitate to help us with our work, the reason why we are here is because of her father and obviously because of her, without her father we already been discard by the Kingdom and maybe become a slave. This is not the town that Sir Maverick supposed to be govern with, he is situated near the the capital but when he died Madam Orchidia takeover the position of her father but Madam Orchidia is suffering from a curse. She has a husband a merchant that is popular in the capital with a shop that thriving, when they get married he is supposed to govern the town but for unknown reason he died despite being healthy, Madam Orchidia is being accused for killing her husband should be hanged but they don't have proof that Madam Orchidia is the one who kill him so instead they confiscate the town of Madam Orchidia's that bring us here in this abandoned mining town, some of the citizen have stay in the town and we a loyal follower of the Jilkins Family have follow Madam Orchidia here." Said by the old man.

"Despite having to struggle in life you still follow her, huh." I have a little respect for them for being loyal to the person they owe, I like that kind of personality.

"Yeah, her father gives us so many gratitude and all we can do is to help his daughter. That's why this trade of yours is helpful to us, we have hunters here but all they can hunt are small monsters, this meat is so valuable to us." Said the old man and everyone agreed with him.

"There is a mine in the town why you don't use that? Its because the lack of workers?" I ask as I'm confused of why they stop mining this place despite being called mining town.

"Ah, the fact is the only thing you can get inside that cave is a white rock, it has no value and you can't forge anything with that as its crumbles easily." He explain "here are some of the small rocks if you wondering. It's no value so you can have it." He said then give me a milky white crystal like rock, my eyes have widen when I see them, no way? Is this really not valuable?

I look at the man and he look at me with a confusion to his eyes, no, they really don't know the value of this rock... Fufu, I can't help but chuckle and everyone give a suspicious look.

"Here, I give you some tips, please bring me to the Lord of this town." I ask him and give him some silver coins that I bring, he widens his eyes with a surprise.

"Are you sure you really give this to me? I can buy triple of the meat you trade us with this you know?" He exaggerated.

"Yeah, just bring me to the lord house and introduce me." I said.

"Are you perhaps a noble? Looking at you all you have a knights and maid." Because I don't want to startle the people I make Mila and Hellebore stay outside the town so only the knights and Kim with her sister are with me.
"Not really, I'm just a traveler." I said and give him a smile.

I feel bad for Mila and Hellebore so I bring them with me, of course people got surprise by them but because the old man make sure that everything is okay they calm down.

The man bring us to an old but huge house in the center of the town, as expected I mean it's a lords manor so it should be big to show their status. The old man knock on the door and we can hear a woman's voice inside telling the man to enter. When we open we see some old and dusty items that scattered in the floor, there are also some documents that are tattered or crumbled, a woman welcome us she is wearing a simple dress tuck in with a pants, she have brunette hair that been tied in bob, round shape face, a long beautiful nose with a downturn eyes with green irises.

"Welcome, are they traders?" The woman question the old man he nods.

"Greetings, I'm Kyrie, I'm not a merchant or a Noble, I'm just a traveler that wander in your town." I bow and lifted my skirt a little as show of courtesy.

"My, I'm Orchidia Jilkins, I'm the one who govern this town, sorry if I can't really give you a warm welcome as you can see the town is currently in poverty if I'm to be honest but feel free to stay, there are lots of vacant house in this town." She offers us and I'm thankful of that.

"Heh, we are some unknown individuals that manage to get inside your town yet you don't even give us some suspicion." I try to test her and see her reaction.

"Yeah, I give you that, but there is no really valuable in here just some old useless junk and depress people." She give a warm smile.

"But what if we are actually some bandits and tried to enslave all of this people?" I give her a look, the man got surprise by my sudden declaration but this woman never even bat her eyes and still show us her smile.

"My, but you will not do that right? I can see in your eyes and the people around you that you are not that kind of person, for example that knight that sticking to you, she keeps looking the surrounding ready to act if someone might attack you, the people you bring they are relax they don't seems to be wary of the surrounding, they curious of course but if you were bandits they already size the interior of this place to see if there are valuables in here right?" I'm amaze, this woman is so keen eye, she already analyze the behavior of my companions in this short time.

"You got me, I give up, sorry for testing you out, I'm amaze you can tell just by looking at us." I said, "anyway the reason we got here really is because we don't have somewhere to stay in."

"But you cannot go towards the Capital because of the companion you got there?" She look at Mila and I incline in agreement.

"Yeah, you see we have some non human race with us and one of my companion suggested that this town don't discriminate some other race so we came here because of that reason, if possible we want to stay in this town with the intent to make them our base of operation, of course we also going to provide some of our earnings to help you out." I offer her.

"Hmm, I will accept it, it will be helpful in both us, but there something I need to make sure first." She said and give me another smile, this time it is directed towards me.

"Haa, you really can tell huh, are you sure you are not an psychic or something?" This woman she knows everything... I'm liking her now.

"Oh my, what you even mean?" She tried to play dumb, I'm amaze that the capital even disregard this woman, what a waste if I say.

"Then I want a private conversation with you alone." I demand and she agrees with me and lead me towards her office, of course Mila and Salvia also come as Salvia is worried on my will being while Mila is just Mila.