I'm sorry

The party had been a blast for everyone. Drinking, singing, dancing and eating to their hearts contents, most of the Whitebeards and Spades were out of commission, having called a night and were laying sprawled on the deck of Moby and Spadille.

Sleep didn't come to Ace easily due to his Narcolepsy. He was tired, he had drank and eaten as much he wanted, but he couldn't go to sleep. So, he was sitting on the railing of Moby Dick, his legs dangling, and lips humming a pirate shanty. The tranquil night would have almost played with him, if not for the lingering feeling of something which was itching on his mind. There was a feeling which was making him check on the vivre cards of his dear family. A feeling that told him tonight's darkness would bring sorrow, despair and grief.

Ace won't say his intuitions are as good as Luffy who could practically hear the world. Ace wouldn't say that he can read people as good as Luffy, but the time with little menace of his brother had taught him things which no one ever could.

"I didn't know you were a singer." An all familiar voice spoke to him, making Ace give a soft smile to the pompadour haired man.

"I used to sing for Luffy, whenever he would have a nightmare." Ace responded back before continuing to sing in a low tune. Nightmares were a common thing which children go through, but nightmares which were worst memories was something Luffy was afflicted with. Ace and Sabo were always there for their baby brother, trying to console him, willing to do anything to see him smile than hear his heart wrenching sobs which literally shatters their hearts.

Thatch and Ace stood there for who knows how long, staring at the stars and moon which were twinkling brightly in the cover of darkness. The air was comforting, the silence wasn't uncomfortable and yet the feeling which Ace was feeling was back. He had thought humming would calm down his mind, but no, his heart was shivering with cold which he had not felt since he had eaten his fruit.

Ace spread his Haki all over the ship when he felt his heart not willing to be consoled. He did this many times, feeling the soft flickers of his crew's Haki, feeling the Whitebeard Pirate's presence. Closing in on his Observation Haki he felt someone, who by all right should be sleeping. But he was not. The person shouldn't even stand where he was. His Haki was screaming the same intent which he had felt when Thatch announced his devil fruit in the galley. 

"Aren't you cold, Thatch?" Ace asked, wanting the person who was hiding to hear it. He doesn't know, who the person seeks for. But one thing was clear, that guy was after either him or Thatch.

"I am." Thatch responded. "But nights like this comes once in a while."

Ace nodded, getting the meaning. Thatch was one of the biggest prankster in the Moby Dick. Leading chaos in his wake, when he wanted to prank. The calmness was good for health once in a while.

Ace fake yawned, even if not a single drop of sleep wanted to touch him.

"You look sleepy, sleepyhead." Thatch chuckled as he uttered the words, making Ace give a smile to the commander, hiding his initial intent.

"Guess I should retreat then." Ace replied, jumping back on the deck and avoiding a look at the shadows where another man was waiting for who knows whom.

"Good night, Ace-y!" Thatch waved Ace teasingly.

"Yeah, night Thatchy!" Ace responded as he took calm steps towards his ship. A calm facade which he had learnt in the Revolutionary Army- his family. His Haki on the man who he wanted to follow him. But Ace's steps halted as he felt the man come out of his cover and walk towards Thatch.

Ace quickly turned back towards where he left Thatch, the person, Teach, his Haki spilling all the killing intent for Ace to feel.

"-devil fruit?" Ace heard the snippets from Teach as he was inching closer and closer to Thatch, who had his back towards Teach looking at the calm ocean.