・53・

Rick had watched the whole thing happen

He watched Sophia become more and more terrified as each walker passed her. He watched as she peeked her head out from under the truck, thinking that the coast was clear. He watched a stray walker notice her and instantly try to reach her. He heard her screams as she fled from the safety of the road and into the woods with the walker on her trail.

And he watched his oldest child chase after her.

"Fuck!" He cursed flying out from under his car and following after the two.

The world was eerily quiet for Cali as she watched the walkers pass by the car she was under. All she could focus on was trying to not make a sound as multiple feet stumbled by her. She didn't know how long the group was hiding for or if all of the walkers were fully gone but it didn't matter.

As soon as she heard a child's scream, she was out from under the vehicle and following after the noise.

She didn't see anything but two walkers stumbling after a screaming child. Cali thought it was Carl, that's why she took off without thinking. There was no way in hell she was going to sit back while her baby brother was chased by walkers.

But when she finally reached the source of the noise running faster than the two walkers she came face to face with a terrified Sophia.

"Soph?" Cali grabbed the girl who'd tripped off of the ground, glancing behind her noticing that the walkers were gaining on them. At the sight of the teen Sophia latched onto Cali, crying into her side for her mom. "It's okay, I won't let anything happen to you." She tried to soothe the hysterical child. "We need to get rid of these walkers and get back to the road."

"I'm scared!" The girl cried pulling Cali deeper into the woods as the dead got closer.

Cali was about to reply but before she could she felt a hand clasp onto her upper arm causing her to let out her own scream. She instantly reached for her knife on her belt and flung her arm in the direction of whatever had a hold of her but another hand stopped her knife inches away from their face.

"It's me!" Rick hissed pushing the knife away from him.

"Oh thank god." Cali sighed letting out a breathe of relief.

"Are you all right? Are you okay?" He rushed out looking over both girls for any injuries. Cali shook her head but Sophia reached for Rick's gun.

"Shoot them!"

"No. No!" The man pushed her hand back. "Those walkers on the road would hear it. Then it wouldn't be just two, it'd be hundreds." He breathed heavily trying to think of a way out of this situation. "Come here. Come on." Rick held onto Cali's hand as he led them away to a small river that had a bank with over grown grass and leaves perfect for the two could hide in. "All right, just hold here. You stay there."

"Dad-" Cali went to argue but Rick cut her off pushing Sophia into the shadows of the space.

"You have to do exactly as I say. Hide in there. Squeeze in tight. I'll draw them away from you."

"No no, don't leave me." Sophia cried.

"Listen listen. They don't get winded. I do. I can only deal with them one at a time. I wouldn't be able to protect you both."Rick explained placing a comforting hand on Sophia's shoulder before looking into his daughter's eyes. "This is how we all survive. You understand?"

"But I can help you!" Cali spoke up. "I can lead one away while you deal with the other."

"No Cali." Rick shook his head. He couldn't risk her life. He'd rather he die taking on two walkers if it meant his daughter got to live on. "Listen to me! I need you with her. If I don't make it back, you have to lead her back to the highway, back to the others. Okay?"

"Daddy please..." Cali's eyes began to water thinking about her father not making it. She just got him back she didn't want to lose him again.

"I need you to do this Cali. I know you can do it." He said running a hand over her cheek wiping away her tears. "You're smart. I've taught you everything I know. She can't make it back on her own. I need you to take care of her like you take care of Carl. Okay?"

"Okay." She nodded leaning into the kiss he placed on her forehead.

"It's straight the way we came. Keep the sun on your left shoulder. I believe in you." Rick smiled reassuringly giving her shoulder one last squeeze before he was off.

Cali moved father into the shadows making sure Sophia was shielded by her body as she held her knife in front of herself protectively, ready to strike if one of the walker's found them. They could hear Rick's yells getting quieter as he led the dead away.

"Come on! You ugly son of a bitch. Come on! Come on!"

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

here's chapter fifty three
please let me know what you guys think
vote/comment

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|