・39・

Cali stared aimlessly at the green roof of her parents tent

Cali stared aimlessly at the green roof of her parents tent. As much as she wished she could stay with Shane last night after everything went down she couldn't. Both her parents and even Shane agreed that she should stay with them in their tent.

Lori hadn't yet spilled the truth about their relationship but she used the attack as an excuse that the teen shouldn't be sleeping alone while Shane is on watch.

Rick of course wasn't going to argue with his daughter's safety and neither was Shane, which is exactly what Lori was planning on when she brought the topic up shortly after Cali stopped crying in Rick's arms.

Last night the woman and children all went to bed in their tents while the men stayed on watch all night. No one really got any sleep except for the young kids.

Cali surely didn't sleep. All she could hear was Andrea crying over Amy's death. She tried to block it out but she couldn't. The sadness that she could feel coming off of Andrea was scary.

It made Cali think about how she'd feel if she ever lost Carl. And this certainly wasn't something Cali wanted to think about but it seems to be all she could think about.

Last night showed her just how easy it was for an attack to happen. It took less than ten minutes for half the camp to be killed. And Cali did nothing to stop it.

She froze and cowered in fear. She'd never be able to protect Carl or anyone else.

"It's time to get up Cali." Lori spoke up from her mattress where she'd just finished helping Carl get changed. "We've got to help clean up."

With a loud sigh the brunette got up from her and Carl's shared bed. Cali threw on one of her five outfits that she had available and headed out to see what everyone was doing.

The first thing the teen noticed was Glenn, T-Dog, and Daryl moving bodies into a pile. Her lip curls in disgust as Morales lights the pile of bodies the others had just collected on fire. She didn't quite understand why they were burning them right in the middle of camp. The smell of burning flesh was not something Cali wanted to smell this early in the morning.

Ignoring the burning bodies, the brunette made her way over to her parents. It was obvious from the annoyed look on her mothers face that she was not pleased by Shane who just walked over to talk to Rick.

"She still won't move?" Cali asked joining the threesome.

"She won't even talk to us. She's been there all night." Lori huffed shaking her head.

"What do we do?"

"Can't just leave Amy like that." Shane sighed answering Cali. He knew she wasn't going to like his answer but its what needs to be done. "We need to deal with it same as the others."

"I'll tell her how it is." Rick spoke after a moment of considering things. Lori, Shane, and Cali watched as he walked over to the blonde. As soon as Rick got close to Andrea she pulled her gun on him.

"Shit!" Shane hissed moving to grab his own gun off of his hip.

"Andrea..." Rick pleaded holding his hands up and backing away from her.

"I know how the safety works."

"All right." He sighed continuing to move away and back towards where the others were standing watching the scene unfold. "I'm sorry."

"That went well." Cali mumbled as more people joined their group around the picnic table to watch Andrea.

"Don't even start Cali." Lori sent her daughter a glare.

"Y'all can't be serious. Let that girl hamstring us?" Daryl asked stepping up beside Cali much to Shane's dismay. "The dead girl's a time bomb."

"What do you suggest?" Rick wondered knowing the mans answer was going to be interesting.

"Take the shot. Clean, in the brain from here." Daryl shrugged like it was obvious. "Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance."

"No. For God's sakes, let her be." Lori cried shaking her head in disapproval.

"It has to be done at some point." Cali spoke up, shocking Daryl. He didn't think anyone would agree with him.

"How can you say that? Have a little sympathy Cali!" The woman exclaimed.

"I do have sympathy!" Cali snapped back. "That's why I'm saying she should kill Amy now. It would be easier to do it while she's unconscious before she turns into a fucking monster!"

"Alright that's enough!" Rick sighed stopping the incoming fight between his wife and daughter. "If she doesn't do it then we will step in before Andrea or anyone else can get bit."

Everyone but Cali, Shane, and Daryl agreed with what Rick said but majority rules so they all went back to work while keeping and eye on the Amy situation.

An hour or two went by of everyone trying to clean up camp. Cali was tasked with going through the dead campers things and collecting anything that could be useful. To keep Carl and Sophia distracted she asked them to help her. They even made a game out of it. Cali told the kids that whoever found the coolest thing would win the chocolate candy bar that Glenn kept hidden under his pillow.

Everything was going as well as it could considering the circumstances, until someone started screaming.

"What's going on Cali?" Sophia asked looking up at Cali with wide eyes.

"Im going to go find out. You and Carl stay here." She smiled reassuringly not wanting to scare them anymore than they already were after last night.

"A walker got him. A walker bit Jim." Jacqui screams gesturing wildly to a pale Jim.

The whole group minus the children circled around a panicked Jim.

"I'm okay. I'm okay." Jim repeated over and over again hoping that everyone would leave him alone.

"Show it to us. Show it to us." Daryl demanded pointing his axe in Jim's face. This obviously caused Jim to freak out even more so he picked up the shovel he was previously using and started swinging to get everyone to back away from him.

"Jim, put it down. Put it down." Shane shouts trying to grab the shovel out of Jim's hands. After a few attempts he finally succeeds. As soon as the shovel is out of his hands, T-Dog quickly steps in and grabs Jim's arms to restrain him.

"I'm okay. I'm okay." Jim breathes heavily not moving as Daryl steps towards him and lifts his shirt, revealing a deep wound.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

here's chapter thirty nine
please let me know what you guys think
vote/comment

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|