・50・

The three rejoined the rest of the group who were all exiting their rooms wondering why the lights and other electrical things were shutting off

"Why is the air off? And the lights in our room?" Carol exclaimed looking at Jenner who was walking down the hall chugging a bottle of whiskey.

"What's going on? Why is everything turned off?" Rick huffed getting annoyed with Jenner's silence.

"Energy use is being prioritized." Jenner shrugged.

"Air isn't a priority? And lights?" Daryl scoffed.

"It's not up to me. Zone 5 is shutting itself down."

"Hey! Hey, what the hell does that mean?" Shane shouted following Jenner down the hallway. "Hey man, I'm talking to you. What do you mean it's shutting itself down? How can a building do anything?"

"You'd be surprised."

"Jenner, what's happening?" Rick asked seriously as Jenner led the group back into the main room and took a seat at his desk.

"The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. That started as we approached the half-hour mark. Right on schedule. It was the French."

"What?"

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs till the end. They thought they were close to a solution."

"What happened?" Andrea wondered.

"The same thing that's happening here. No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs of fossil fuel. I mean, how stupid is that?"

"To hell with it. I don't even care. Lori, grab our things. Everybody, get your stuff. We're getting out of here now!" Rick yelled motioning for the group to head out the main doors and back to their rooms.

Before anyone could even make it towards the large doors a metal barrier came down from the ceiling locking them in.

"No." Cali gasped gripping onto her brother as they stopped in front of the blockade.

"Did you just lock us in?" Glenn asked looking around with wide eyes. "He just locked us in!"

"We've hit the 30-minute window. I am recording." Jenner mumbled to himself messing around with one of the computers.