・18・

The next few weeks were all a blur to Cali

The next few weeks were all a blur to Cali. Everyday was the exact same.

She'd wake up in Shane's arms then she'd go help the women around camp with the chores until after lunch time.

After lunch Cali would spend the rest of the afternoon going over different subjects with Carl and Sophia. They would switch between math, english, and history each day. The kids didn't love having to do school but it gave them something else to focus on.

Cali and Shane would eat dinner together before his watch shift. The Grimes girl hated that fact the Shane did watch shifts at night because she couldn't sleep without him. She would just lay in his tent staring up at the ceiling trying not to think about her dead father and best friend. The girl still had nightmares but they weren't nearly as bad when Shane was around.

Much to Lori's annoyance her daughter still refused to apologize to Andrea. The woman had relentlessly tried to get Cali to move back into their tent but she refused.

Cali had woken up this particular morning feeling even more miserable then she usually did. She wasn't sure what was bothering her but she had a bad feeling.

Walking towards the fire pit for breakfast Cali was greeted by an overly excited Glenn. The two had bonded over their love for Rock music and annoying Dale. The old man didn't mind Cali and Glenn teasing him. He was just happy that the girl was being more social.

"Guess who's going on another run!" Glenn exclaimed with a wide smile.

"Hmm.... I don't know Ed?" Cali asked innocently as she picked up a plate and scooped some fried squirrel onto it.

"Seriously?" The boy huffed rolling his eyes at the teens smirk. "You know Ed doesn't ever leave that chair."

The two laughed glancing over to where the man sat with a beer in his hand watching Carol as she hung up some laundry.

"I'd love to see him on a run. He'd be dead within two minutes." Cali joked earning a snort from Glenn.

"You're horrible."

"You know it's the truth."

Shane who had been watching the two converse from his spot on top of the RV gritted his teeth. He didn't love how close Cali and Glenn had become. He wished she could have befriended Amy instead of a guy.

Shane didn't want to think of Glenn as competition but he couldn't help it. Glenn was closer in age to Cali and they had more things in common.

Wanting to end the conversation between them, Shane hopped down from the RV and joined them.

"Hey Glenn, I gotta talk to you about your run."

Cali's head immediately turned at the sound of his rough voice. Shane always looked hot but he looked especially hot today in his button down shirt that was sticking to his already sweaty body.

"What's up man?"

"I think we're gonna have to send more than one person into the city this time."

"That's too dangerous." Glenn shook his head disagreeing with the older man. "More people will just slow me down."

"I know. I know." He sighed running a hand through his hair. "We don't got much of a choice. We're running low on everything. We need a big group to go in and get stuff."

"Who do you want to send?"

"Whoever wants to go." Shane shrugged.

"I want to go!" Cali suddenly announced.

"Anyone but Cali or Lori." The Walsh man clarified sending the girl a warning look not to argue with him.

"Okay so should I round people up or something?" Glenn awkwardly questioned noticing the glare Cali was sending Shane.

"I got it." The man responded before whistling loudly gaining the whole group's attention. "Hey yall gather around!"

"What's going on?" Lori wondered joining Cali's side.

"Okay listen up! Glenn is going on a run into the city and we need a couple of others to go with him. We'll take volunteers!"

A few people had already volunteered when Cali heard her least favorite person speak up.

"I'll go." Andrea spoke up from beside Amy.

"Andrea no!" Amy immediately shot her sister down but Andrea was insistent on going.

"It'll be fine. I can handle myself."

Cali couldn't help but scoff at the blonde. She knew Andrea was all talk. When it came down to it she was just as scared as everyone else.

"That's great!" Shane nodded with a smile. "While you guys all get ready I'm gonna have Lori and Carol write a list of everything we need."

"This is going to be a train wreck." Glenn mumbled to Cali as everyone went to get ready for the run.

"Can we still send Ed?" The girl asked earning a shake of the head from Shane who was still standing nearby.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

here's chapter eighteen
please let me know what you guys think
vote/comment

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|