・42・

While everyone was packing their stuff to leave Shane decided to try and talk to Lori

While everyone was packing their stuff to leave Shane decided to try and talk to Lori. He needed her on his team when it came to convincing Rick not to go to the C.D.C. and maybe he could also talk her into keeping quiet about him and Cali.

"I need you to help talk some sense into Rick." He whispers harshly, scaring the woman who was taking clothes down from the clothes line. "Look, this C.D.C. thing, Lori, it's a mistake. So you're backing him?"

"What else would I do?" Lori scoffs in disbelief. "He's my husband."

"Come on Lor, I kept you, Carl, Cali, and this group safe for weeks. When have I made a decision that put us at risk? I sure as hell wasn't the one that decided to chase after Merle and left the group with no protection. Is trying to please your husband worth putting people's lives at risk?"

"I think folks around here can make up their minds without bringing my marriage into it." She retorts throwing the shirt she was holding in the basket at her feet before leaning closer towards Shane. "And you have a lot of nerve asking for my help after you've been manipulating my daughter into a relationship for god knows how long."

"I didn't manipulate her into anything. Maybe if you weren't so focused on yourself you would have noticed what was going on a whole lot sooner." Shane spat back. "And don't try to act like a dutiful wife now. I've seen the way you'd look at me from time to time and so has Cali."

"You're delusional!"

"I guess that's a habit you'll have to break now that Rick's back."

"What habit?" Rick asks coming out of the RV and interrupting the twos conversation.

"Just talking about my need for a plan, man." The Walsh man chuckled removing his glare from Lori and looking toward her husband. "So what is it?"

"We can't stay here. We both know that." Rick sighed looking at the now dried blood covering the ground, a constant reminder of how he failed in protecting his family.

"I was just telling Shane I think we should trust your gut." Lori smiles sarcastically in Shane's direction not realizing that Rick is picking up on the tension between the two.

"Let's go do our sweep." The curly haired man suggests wanting to get away from Lori.

Lori nervously bites her lip as she watches her husband disappear into the woods with Shane and Dale. She didn't think Shane would ever hurt Rick but she certainly didn't trust him after everything, especially considering he lied to her about her husbands death.

"Tell you what, man, these people, man, they're not convinced. You know? You head to the C.D.C., you might be on your own. You gotta really consider whether you want to put Cali, Lori, and Carl in that kind of spot." Shane rants as the two walk around the woods looking for any walkers.

"I got to do what's best for my family."

"Best for your family? What's that? Exposing them to all kinds of risks?" He scoffs shaking his head.

"As opposed to what? Crossing 100 miles of hostile territory?" Rick fights back angrily turning to look Shane in the eye. "If we're looking for a lifeline, I say swim toward the closest ship, not further out to sea. Why can't you back me up?"

"Look, I want to. It's just... I don't see it." Shane says honestly thinking about Cali. He'd do anything to keep her safe.

"If it was your family, you'd feel differently."

"What did you say to me?" The Walsh man asked with wide eyes wondering if he'd heard his friend correctly. "I kept them safe, man! I looked after them like they were my own! That's what I did!

"I didn't mean it that way." Rick quickly tries to back track but it was too late. They both knew what he meant and boy did it piss Shane off. "You're misinterpreting me."

"All right." Shane nodded sarcastically with a roll of his eyes.

"You're just hearing it wrong."

"Yeah?"

"Look, you know..." Rick began trying to find the right words to calm Shane down. "You know I can never repay that debt, okay?" The heated conversation between the two best friends comes to an abrupt stop when Rick turns his back to Shane going to investigate where he heard a branch snap.

A fuming Shane slowly raised his rifle moving it until his aim lands right on Rick. Short, harsh breathes escaped his lips as he stood glaring at the back of Rick's head through the scope of his gun. All he could think about was how easy it would be to end Rick's life.

One shot was all it would take.

He could go back to camp and resume his role as leader. He also wouldn't have to worry about Rick trying to separate him and Cali. Shane's life would be better with Rick gone.

But, he couldn't do it.

With a small huff he drops the gun, noticing that Dale had been watching him the entire time. The two men stare at each other. Neither one knew what to say or do.

"Lets head back." Rick's voice cut through the silence prompting both men to follow him out of the woods.

Once back Shane called a meeting to discuss the plan. Cali stood next to her brother while she listened to Shane talk.

"I've been thinking about Rick's plan. Now look, there are no... There are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that." He paused looking at everyone. "I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning."

And that was that.

The cars were packed and everyone headed in for an early night, knowing they'd be doing a lot of traveling tomorrow.

Cali was surprised that Shane gave in to her dad so easily but she was thankful that they'd at least came to a decision. She didn't care if they went to Fort Benning or the C.D.C. All Cali cared about was going somewhere with walls that could protect them from another attack like the one the night before.

Hopefully the C.D.C. will be safe.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

here's chapter forty two
another filler sorry
please let me know what you guys think
vote/comment

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|