・28・

Shane entered his tent at five in the morning after being relieved of his watch shift by Dale

Shane entered his tent at five in the morning after being relieved of his watch shift by Dale. He was thankful that he no longer had to sit in the quiet staring directly at Rick and Lori's tent. The whole shift was spent thinking of ways to explain his and Cali's relationship to her parents.

As much as he hoped they'd be okay with their relationship, Shane knew they wouldn't be. So as the Walsh man laid next to a sleeping Cali he made a promise to himself and her that he wouldn't let Lori, Rick, or anyone else for that matter get in the way of their love.

Cali had awoken a few hours later to the feeling of warm kisses being placed on her neck. "Shane..." She mumbled pulling the blanket over her head.

The Walsh man chuckled at how adorable the girl was when she was half asleep. "I gotta go get water for the group." He spoke softly removing the blanket from her head coming face to face with a frowning Cali.

"Why'd you wake me up for that?" Cali grumbled, glaring at his smirking face.

"Because I wanted a goodbye kiss from my girl."

"Since when am I your girl?"

"Since the second I kissed you up against my squad car." Shane replied leaning his body down and closer to Cali's.

"That feels like a lifetime ago..." The brunette sighed reaching her hand up to gently caress Shane's cheek. "Back then all I had to worry about was what college I wanted to go to and whether or not I'd ever have a chance with you."

"Well at least now you know you definitely have a chance with me." The man laughed kissing Cali's awaiting lips.

The two heatedly kissed for a few moments before Cali pulled away from Shane. "You've had your kiss now leave me alone so I can go back to sleep."

Shane scoffed at her but listened and got up from the bed. He watched as Cali turned her back to him once again pulling the blanket over her head.

"You better be up when I get back or you'll be getting punished later." He said lightly smacking Cali on the ass before exiting their tent.

The Grimes girl giggled at Shane's threat. She was actually quite interested in finding out what her punishment would be. But she ultimately decided to get up knowing that she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep anyway. She could already hear people walking around outside of her tent.

Cali got dressed, deciding to wear a pair of jean shorts and a pale pink cropped shirt. She threw her hair up into a high ponytail already knowing that it was going to be hot out today from how humid it was this early in the morning.

When the teen finally emerged from the tent she was met with the sight of her mother handing out plates of food to people. Not really wanting to interact with the woman at this point in time she decided to go over to Glenn who was sadly watching his new sports car get taken apart.

"Look at 'em. Vultures." Glenn seethed as the girl joined his side. "Yeah, go on, strip it clean."

"Generators need every drop of fuel they can get." Dale sighed holding different parts of the car in his arms. "Got no power without it. Sorry, Glenn."

"Thought I'd get to drive it at least a few more days." The boy sighed sadly.

"Guess we won't be going for a ride in it anytime soon." Cali huffed noticing her dad join the pair.

"Maybe we'll get to steal another one someday." Rick said trying to make the two feel better.

"Will you let me drive it?" Cali questioned excitedly. She had her license but everyone knew she was a terrible driver. Shane even thought he'd have to pay off the driving instructor to let the girl pass after she failed the test five times.

"Whatever you want sweetheart." Rick smiled pulling her into his side and kissing her head. He'd let Cali do whatever she wanted. Rick was just glad to be back with her, Carl, and Lori.

Before Cali could say anything else her mom walked up gaining Rick's attention.

"Hey." The man greeted his wife.

"You sleep okay?" Lori asked her husband while handing Cali a plate of food. The brunette in turn handed the plate to Glenn who happily began eating the squirrel meat.

"Better than in a long time." Rick smirked causing Cali to gag at her parents flirting.

"God help me." The teen mumbled to herself.

"Well, I didn't want to wake you. I figured you could use it." Lori blushed looking away from her daughter and changing the subject.

The Grimes man nodded looking around camp. Lori and Cali shared a look both knowing that there was clearly something bothering Rick.

"What's wrong?" Cali was the one to question her father's behavior.

"I've been thinking about the man we left behind." Rick sighed knowing Lori wasn't going to be happy with what he was thinking.

"You're not serious." The woman snapped not wanting to have this conversation in front of their daughter. She knew her husband was feeling guilty which would probably lead to him making some stupid decision. "Are you asking me or telling me?"

"Asking." Rick replied at the same time as Shane pulled back into camp.

"Water's here, y'all. Just a reminder to boil before use." Shane announced as his eyes scanned the camp for Cali.

"Asking what?" The teen wondered looking at her parents who were in a heated stare off. "Dad? What are you asking?"

Neither Rick or Lori had a chance to answer Cali because the whole camp was distracted by screams coming from somewhere in the woods.

"Cali!" The girls heart sunk at the sound of her brother's distressed voice yelling her name. She didn't even think before she took off in the direction his yells were coming from.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

here's chapter twenty eight
please let me know what you guys think
vote/comment

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|