chapter forty five

Everyone came over to the Sturniolo's house to take group photos, and Isla was definitely dreading it.

Chris, on the other hand, could barely hold in his excitement.

He couldn't wait to see Isla in the red dress he had overheard Delilah fangirling over, last night on FaceTime with Matt.

He couldn't wait to see her all dressed up, her hair perfect, makeup done. He always thought she was beautiful, but god was he excited to see her dressed up for prom.

Since boys usually didn't have that good of options for formal clothes, Chris was left with a pair of black dress pants and a white button up shirt. He was corresponding outfits with Matt, and Matt was wearing the same as him but in the opposite colors.

Matt was also matching with Delilah, while Fallon and Stella were also matching with one another.

The moment Isla arrived, Chris's heart immediately increased at the sight of the girl. Of course, his heart rate always increased when he saw her, but tonight it did so times ten.

But what broke Chris's heart was that they had once planned to do this together. When they were little, they talked about corresponding outfits, dancing together to the music, taking the best pictures, and just having fun. But looking at her in that dress suddenly brought back every memory of them as children.

The second their eyes met, Isla quickly looked away. She wanted to get rid of the thought of him in that annoyingly good looking suit. God, she hated the fact that her stomach immediately twisted the second she locked eyes with the boy she was supposed to be mad at.

Right after looking away, Isla turned to the girls, since they were planning to take separate photos- just the four of them.

Isla didn't know this, but Chris had bought flowers for her. He'd bought a big bouquet, and he had to ask the lady working there what to get, since at first he had absolutely no idea what flowers she would like.

But while the worker was showing him all the flowers she would recommend, Chris's eyes got caught on a certain bouquet. It wasn't one of them that she had pointed out, but it certainly made him stop in his tracks.

It was a bouquet of lilies, which had always been her favorite.

Although, he had forgotten about it before, the second he saw those flowers, the memory came flooding back.

When they were in Elementary school and Isla had asked Chris if he wanted to go to prom with her, she made him promise that when he bought her flowers, he would buy her favorite kind- lilies.

And Chris made sure to keep that promise. When he was younger, he always said it was a horrible thing to break a pinky promise, after all.

Chris didn't want to give Isla the flowers right away, though. He wanted it to be private. He knew that if he did so, he could finally get a chance to explain everything. Well, if she will even let him.

The girls continued taking pictures, and after a
couple minutes, they were done. Marylou was taking all of them, making sure she 'got all the good angles' as she said. She then took all the boys photos, and after that took double and singles.

The thing was, Marylou wasn't aware of what was going on with Chris and Isla. She knew that he'd been upset recently, but she had expected that it was because Chris broke up with Scar. She definitely didn't expect there to be a problem between Isla and Chris.

Because of not knowing this, she figured it would be a good idea to have them take a picture together.

She always knew about how Chris and Isla had promised to go to prom together, and assumed they were doing so today. Although they hadn't said a word to each other yet all night, she hadn't really noticed.